• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Philips E80CC as replacemnt for 12AX7 in Jadis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am enamored with the sound of the E80CC, at least in the AU section.
E 80CC, Tube E80CC; Rohre E 80CC ID4042, Double Triode

Can I swap out the 4 12ax7's in my Jadis and replace with E80CC.
This way I will have 2 E80CC 's in the au section and 4 in the AX section.

also can I swap out the 4 6922's in the Cayin cd player and,,,yes you guessed it,,replace with
E80CC.
I really like this tube and must have it in all sections.
I do not listen at loud volume, so the current draw will be be all that demanding.
<<please say yes, no big deal>>>

From my POV, all 3 specs look awefully close.

but then kinda risky taking a chance damaging the Defy7 = super expensive to repair:confused:

The E80CC is a special quality double triode introduced in 1957. It is ruggedised and designed for long service life. The design purpose was for computing, switching and scaling. The advert states that each triode is of frame grid construction and with a noise factor of 4.6 dB is suitable for RF or IF use. Audio use is also indicated.

The thin glass tube envelope is 20 mm in diameter and, excluding the B9A base pins, is 68 mm tall.
A valve is a valve is a valve.

It will fit with no issues.

I am enamored with the sound of the E80CC, at least in the AU section.
E 80CC, Tube E80CC; Rohre E 80CC ID4042, Double Triode

Can I swap out the 4 12ax7's in my Jadis and replace with E80CC.
This way I will have 2 E80CC 's in the au section and 4 in the AX section.

also can I swap out the 4 6922's in the Cayin cd player and,,,yes you guessed it,,replace with
E80CC.
I really like this tube and must have it in all sections.
I do not listen at loud volume, so the current draw will be be all that demanding.
<<please say yes, no big deal>>>

From my POV, all 3 specs look awefully close.

but then kinda risky taking a chance damaging the Defy7 = super expensive to repair:confused:
It will break the workingpoint as this tube is more reminiscent of ECC82
in it's electrical properties. But if you are deaf it won't matter. Neither
if you only listen to punk

A valve is a valve is a valve.

It will fit with no issues.

You made my day,, ya know i had some ,,accidentally/unaware/did not pay close attention>> that i has mistakenly placed 2 ax's in the 6922 section of the cayin 17 cd player,,,and only just the other day (after ohhh some 30+ hrs of useage) discovered my error.
But I realized, the ax worked just as a 6922 did, no issues.
I am using E80CC in the AU section, and have no issues.
I started to wonder,,,is
<<,a tube = a tube = a tube>> all are **basically** equal in nature.
Look these are power tubes which do require some bias adjustment.
I can find no where on the INET,
Besides the voltage is equal on all 3. ,,,6.3 amps at .6 on all 3.
The trans on the cayin and Jadis are built like tanks,
I knew it would come down to a vote of
**no can not do, the nay sayers ** vs the **yea sayers**.
I am going to ,,,,,,experiment,,siding on the risk /gamble factor in my favor..
:rolleyes:.

Plus, the heater draws twice the current of an AX/AU. Check your power transformer. But it's a great tube.
Both cayin and Jadis , uses Class A trans The EI type = ,, the worst that can happen is a resistor blows. ,,if so, i'll have my tech guy swap it out for a new Mundorf R Resist high tech resistor.
Man I got a bunch already on order ,, should get interesting,,, if all systems goodtogo,,i'll sell off all my pre tubes and hang with the E80CC type.

NOS Tube Store: SIEMENS E80CC / 6085

a value is a valve is a valve,,..
besides the AX is a gain of 100 mu, the AU mu is only 20, less gain. So it may not be advisable to placea 100mu gain tube in a slot calling for 20 mu gain.

I am going with a lower mu, = less stress on circuity.
Besides as i say, i listen to low vol, as the E80CC has amplified the sound to a point where the Lite LS9 (jadis clone) only needs a slight trun of vol at listening pleasure
And my muisc is easy listening, nothing driving like death metal...
I think its a safe play for a easy swap....

Last edited:
???
Simply let it play for a while and touch the transformer with your hand: warm is OK, hot is not. :)

Yes as i found out,,I purchased a cayin MT35 , has 4 EL34's.
Built in the Cayin Style * Likea tank*,,,but no mtach for the Seas Thos MTM speakers,,,can't recall if i had the amp in ultralinear or tri linear mode,,as i was flipping the switch back and forth as the muisc was on,,,maybe nota good idea,,and way i think the triod mode has more watts,, and should have kept the amp in that mode,,as i knew the thors were a low efficency speaker at 87 db/4 ohm load,,even though the cayin has 4 ohm connects, still the MTM requires 50 Class A/B watts.
The Cayin MT is like 35 A/B watts tri mode. ,,so the trans were getting hot,,i shut it off just in time, no damage,,,btw i have it listed on ebay, if anyone is interested, has like 6 hours on it,,= new,,,asking $475 + $50 ship,,paid $800

I'll ck the trans temp on the cayin cd17 while running the E80CC..the Jadis trans stay cold all the time, no big deal there.
The Cayin uses japenese EI trans,

Last edited:
well the cayin el34 is boxed up for sale.
The jadis has 12 KT90's
It is the cayin cd player which i am concerned about,,i will test the E80CC's out with no muisc playing,,if i feel either of the 2 trans, 1 for digital, 1 for analoge, get hot, i will swap back to 6922's.
The Lite LS9, i will hold with the E180CC (=12AT7), as i will be selling that pre and buyinga aCayin SC6, has 4 AU's where i will employ 4 E80CC.s
btw the Lite LS9 is up for sale early next year,,has like 7 12AT7's, 2 retifier tubes, like 9 or 10 tubes total,,,and you guys with DIY equipment could esaily modify it to a superior preamp, very easy to swap out the cheap caps to Mundorf Silver/Gold series and have one STELLAR preamp.

lite ls9 images - Google Search

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.