Philips CD100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I recently bought a Magnavox CD100 from a flea market, and when I got it home it played original CD's just fine, but it had a very hard time playing CD-R's. I have tried cleaning the laser lens, but didn't help any. I have noticed that if the CD-R was recorded at a low speed, the player would play it just fine, but at a higher recorded speed (40X), it would play but skip horribly. Anyone have an idea as to why it does this? Thanks

The cd-players that i've seen, almost all do that. I never burn faster than 4x speed. Would have burned at 2x if my recorder allowed it.
I think it's because the laser cannot turn on and off fast enough to make a weel defined "0" or"1" at high speeds. For data it's ok, but the error correction in the cd-player has to work overtime to catch up with all read errors.

Burn slower :D

best regards
Ebbe

Hello. My CD-R's work great on it now. It is able to read them burnt 16X or lower. I do have another question, tho. These players Do get hot after a while of playing. I took it apart and looked inside, and found there is only a small amount of room between the circuit boards. Is it wise to install a fan in there ? (tiny computer fan). If I tap into a 12V source on the board, will that mess with anything else? I was told the fan could possibly drain the power from everything else. Please let me know! Thanks.

One more thing I forgot to ask. I have a Philips CM100 CD-ROM that has a CDM1 laser, and was wondering if I can install that CDM1 laser in my Philips CD100 (actually it is a Magnavox FD1000) that already has a CDM0 installed? The wires all look the same on both laser assemblies, so it Should be possible to swap the CDM0 with a CDM1 ? Thanks again.

Philips CD101

Hello all,

I just get[one set of Philips CD-101.

It can function but......................

I play any of my favorite CD, the output music always mixed with some "spark noise" (loud one)

From my first observation and diagnostic, I dont think the op amp got any problem. However at this moment, I have no idea whether the DAC got problem or other hardware problem.

See if there is any members that can help with this problem.

Thanks a lot.

Dear all,
I`ve got Philips CD-204. Bought it used a year ago. The player sounds fantastic, but I have a problem with it.
One month ago it stopped playing CDs and the Error appeared on the info screen.
My techinician checked everything. He said that that CDM as well as laser are OK. He also checked connections and chips - they were OK.
When I received player back - it worked for one week after that Error message appeared again. Techician says that it could be a floating defect and he can not determine it. However, everything seems to be well with the player.
Now it works but suddenly music can start jumping and Error appears on the screen. I try to turn the unit ON and OFF, open and close tray - after some attempts it starts playing again.
Did somebody meet with such a problem? I would be grateful for any advise on my problem.
Dmitriy.

DME said:
Dear all,
I`ve got Philips CD-204. Bought it used a year ago. The player sounds fantastic, but I have a problem with it.
One month ago it stopped playing CDs and the Error appeared on the info screen.
My techinician checked everything. He said that that CDM as well as laser are OK. He also checked connections and chips - they were OK.
When I received player back - it worked for one week after that Error message appeared again. Techician says that it could be a floating defect and he can not determine it. However, everything seems to be well with the player.
Now it works but suddenly music can start jumping and Error appears on the screen. I try to turn the unit ON and OFF, open and close tray - after some attempts it starts playing again.
Did somebody meet with such a problem? I would be grateful for any advise on my problem.
Dmitriy.

Well it could be the griplet problem which occurs in the 104 and 304 models. have a look at the "tweaking the CD104" hread, or search for 'griplets.

basically there are links that go through the boards to maintain ground. These go bad and should be removed and redone. takes about 2 hours but seems to fix all kinds of problems. Fixed my CD104, works every time

Dear Jives 11 thank you very much for a very fast reply. I`ve read the thread about tweaking 104 and found lots of interesting info there. However, as I am not a techician, I cannot understand how to proceed with those griplets. I would very grateful if you could explain the way how to find those griplets and fix them. I saw an attachment to post 41 in the abovementioned thread but can not associate it with my boards.
Another symptom of my player that when opened it - when I close the tray without the disk being inserted - the turntable starts rotating, but when I load the disk - the turntable does not rotate.

Hi Dimitry,

if you send me an email I can send you the service guide for the CD104. My email is jonathan DOT ives AT gmail DOT com . I know the 104 and 304 mk1 use the same boards, so I *assume* the CD204 is the same.

There are several boards inside the player , but only 2 large ones - one is the servo board, the other the decoder with the TDA1540 mono 14 bit DAC's and the various other chips. These boards are double sided and have links that pass through them. These links (griplets) consist of a hole drilled through the board and a metal rivet pushed through the hole and the "crown" flattened on each side. Each side of the griplet is then covered with a dome of solder. From the schematic in the service guide the griplets are shown as a diamond symbol, something like this in asciimation :

/\
\/

You can recognise them as shiny silver domes on the board, there are around 15 in total, mostly on the decoder board but a couple on the servo too. Once you have identified them you have to :

1) carefully remove both boards. Maybe take some digital pictures first so you can remember where all the ribbon cables go.

2) remove the solder from both sides of the griplet with a solder iron and a desolder sucker

3) Drill a hole through the centre of the griplet with a small hobby drill or jewelers hand drill. You might be able to remove the griplet/rivet completely, I did not , I just drilled a hole through each ones centre, passing from one side to the other side of the board.

4) push a short ( 10-20mm) piece of wire through each hole and resolder on both sides.

5) Cut off the excess wire on both sides of the new join

6) repeat this for each griplet. Don't miss any and don't cheat and just resolder the old griplet . It's important to use new wire links

7) Put the boards back

The griplets cause all kinds of problems as you the players heat and cool which loosens them. This causes all kinds of weird issues and I'm 80% sure this will fix your problems. It's a fiddly job and takes a few of hours if you take it slow and steady. If your unsure maybe your colleague who diagnosed the laser is able to do the work for you ?

Anyhow send me an email at the address above and I'll send you 1) the service guide for the CD104 2) An article on fixing comon problems. These are bothe large PDF files , so your email provider needs to allow large attachments circa 12Mb.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.