Phase for AMT-1s?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did a search and could not find out if the dipole AMTs have a front and back as far as phase goes. The diaphragm is exactly in the middle and the pleats look the same. Both of the AMTs in this pair have had the little wire connectors knocked off and I didn't see any traces of glue so I can't tell what was used as the back.
I do not think that it would make a difference which side was used as front but I have been wrong many times and turning the things around won't take much time.
I just bought an active crossover and decided just to use another pair of AMTs since soldering the speaker cables to the diaphragm wires is the easiest way to set this up. I never have really cared for the little push button clips that the AMTs came with and think it to be a weak link.
I made my own cables out of old Celonese covered drawn and tinned copper wire that ATT used. Doing a 16 strand Litz is a PITA but the wire was bought for nothing at a HAM Fest years ago and the dialectic properties of the melt-able paper and the copper make for a good combination for braiding audio cables. The cables for the tweeters are 8 strands which equal 16 AWG.
Well back to the wire stripping and soldering so I can Bi-Amp my drivers. I am hoping for an improvement over the passive coils & caps.

I have nothing to measure it with. I think this is the 1st time I have had this pair in the system. I think that the other 3 pair have the clips on the back, but one pair has been modified and I do not know that any attention was paid to what side was what when it was done.
Thanks for replying, but how is the front different from the back and what differences are there?
What do you measure it with and what do you look for? Why do you have to bring up the woofer to be able to tell if it is in phase? By looking at it it would seem that both sides are exactly the same unless the number of negative spaces in the pleats are different. If that is the case I should be able to count the negative spaces and positive spaces on each side to find out if there is a difference. There has to be a simple logic since it is just a pleated ribbon open on both sides.
The magnet structure is the same, so it has to be the diaphragm that has a physical difference to do this.
I am not arguing but trying to understand how.
Thanks again,

I have pulled the diaphragms out of one pair when I bought a new set as back ups. I don't remember paying any attention when I pulled and inserted the diaphragms.(I put the old ones back as they were in perfect shape) If there was a difference in anything I could not tell as I was crossing at 10K using some Eminence in a TL. I think I was doing something along the lines as Hammer Acoustics but my TL was Something Completely Different.

they are the same (if the front has the same amount of folds as the back) but if you questioning if they are in phase with the rest of the loudspeakers you can hear it by turning it around or change polarity. :) depending on the magnet structure the front is the same as the back. but if the magnets structure is different, then there is a difference, but you dont notice it by only flipping the membrane :) so. the answer is yes they are the same.

cryptic explanation :) when i reread this :) haha. the fact is dont worry about it as long as they are in phase you are good to go :)

This is the 1st time I have used this pair of AMTs and I found where the clips were glued. Instead of on the inside of the base in the back they were glued to what was either the bottom or the top on the back edge. That has solved the phase for this pair.
I dug out one of the pair of back up diaphragms I bought from ESS maybe a decade ago. I think there had been a period of not being able to buy them at all and it was around $60 + shipping. Maybe a bit more than that, so not to distant from 2000 you could get diaphragms for less than $40 ea. I had to measure the ones I had, maybe check resistance too before they could be made because I had no clue as to what they came off of. I decided if they had been hard to get I should get some while I could. So I counted the pleats and there are more on the front while the negative space between the pleats is the same on both sides, and the negative holds the air that is pushed so while I think there is a front (the side the metal tape is on it) I am not sure that the sound isn't the same on both sides. These could be perfect dipoles.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.