PGA2310 vs. PGA2320

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know why TI released the PGA2320? In all respects except voltage swing, it seems very slightly worse than PGA2310. Am I missing something here, or did TI just move the chip to a different fab process or something with slightly different specs?

Obviously they're both very good, it just seems odd they'd relesae a new part number with almost identical (and slightly worse) specs across the board. Any ideas?

Hi,

I was told they changed some little details in the productions process and so PGA2320 offers in Realworld less THD - as you can see in the datasheet.

Someone claimed "better matching". At least its a later revision of the PGA2310 i did stuck with it and building an PreAmp and a headphone amp with it.

If you dont use a buffer (input) you can use PGA2320 due to the high swing rate - if you are planning to use Input buffer and output buffer...than use PGA2311 because its need lower voltage 5V.

reagrds

Ayk

I was told by our distributor that the PGA2310 was designed for a process that TI do not have a fab for so it has to be subbed out.

The PGA2320 was a redesign to work on a process for which TI own a FAB. My experience is that despite the specifications the PGA2320 sounds slightly better.

Regards,
Andrew

Does anyone know why TI released the PGA2320? In all respects except voltage swing, it seems very slightly worse than PGA2310. Am I missing something here, or did TI just move the chip to a different fab process or something with slightly different specs?

Obviously they're both very good, it just seems odd they'd relesae a new part number with almost identical (and slightly worse) specs across the board. Any ideas?

If you look at the PGA2320 datasheet you will find the PGA2320 can deliver twice the amount of current as the PGA2310 at its outputs. This equals to a better distortiion figures driving loads and also lower impedence output. You are more likely to experience a more fuller sound than the pga2310 without using a buffer to do the same job. A pga2310 with a buffer could offer similar results but the buffer chip would add extra noise which would be ofcourse be amplified by the stages after the buffer chip.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.