Petite boutique HELP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is common in tube amps to operate the heaters a few volts above ground to reduce hum and reduce the possibility of H-K shorts. I usually make a two resistor and cap voltage divider off of main B+, but many amps choose to steal from an existing low voltage source, the output tube cathode.

In an amp like this any of the 3 possible choices will work fine. Ground the wiper, connect it to the output tube cathode, or make a voltage divider to feed 20 volts or so to the wiper. A 4th choice exists, and is often used in guitar amps. Just tie one side of the heater winding directly to ground (or the output tube cathode) and ditch the pot altogether.

Thanks again mrtube- though I do t understand about half of what you said :/

Dan- wrong side? Power to switch then fuse is how uncle Doug runs things- the old champs seemed to fuse one leg and switch the other. I’m open to compelling input but it looks like it has been done several ways

Check this out- the published schematic seems wrong the plates should be 1 & 6
But this says pin 1&7. I pin 7 is the cathode- not pin 3. And the heater is pins 3&4 - this is not a good sign.

Attachments

• FB3966FC-9BE3-481F-93A7-FF0197E0B165.jpg
    FB3966FC-9BE3-481F-93A7-FF0197E0B165.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 102
A little help?

So after a break from this project- I thought I would try to tune it up a bit... short story, the output transformer only puts out ~50vac what the heck?!? I disconnected it from the circuit completely and measured the voltage, yup 54volts. How is this possible?

That’s what I said!

I’m willing to consider that I was looking at 2.80 at pin 7 of the 6cu5 and mis read the meter.

Any ideas bout how to proceed?

At first I just wanted to see if I could make it function- now I really want see if I can get a decient sound.

Last edited:
Here’s a picture of the offending transformer- completely detached and on the bench ~54vac on the secondary :confused:

Now what? Voltage doubling circuit? I have a 325-0-325 but I think that would fry the whole thing.

While I wait your input I shall continue reading the “hundred buck amp challenge” thred and fill my skull with information as I gawk in amazement

Attachments

• 04916439-27C1-4B26-8FB1-C2098FAE466F.jpg
    04916439-27C1-4B26-8FB1-C2098FAE466F.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.