PeppyMeter

What else mpd-user could have that pi-user has not?
Any?
What else a general service could have that regular user has not?
TTY bindings?
Any random ideas would be helpful. ;-)

For instance
in mpd.log
: curl: icy-metaint=8192 (for pi)
: curl: icy-metaint=16000 (for mpd)
Could it be meaningful?

'mpd' definitely has more permissions than 'pi' user. I still cannot find what that can be. 'pi' also belongs to the same 'audio' group. Not only 'mpd' but 'vlc' also runs without spikes with 'sudo'. I thought it would be easier to find those extra privileges for 'mpd' but it looks like that's not so easy :mad: I'm not sure about that icy stuff.

Silly me!. ;-)
.asoundrc is read from home folder.
The alsaplugin containing .asounrc is in pi’s home only.
So running as service, as mpd, there will be a different home, where there is no asoundrc and so no alsaplugin. So problems with pi, and no problems with mpd.

Moving the alsaplugin containing asondrc to /etc/ asonund.conf produces the same spikes while running in the name of mpd-user
:-((

Edit: under root as well – spikes :-(
So lets forget the permissions and get back to the entire system

Last edited:
Move the alsaplugin containing asondrc to /etc/asonund.conf
and check again.
Zero output from "hexdump /home/pi/myfifo" while playing means there is no alsaplugin used, i.e. no spikes by definition.
I’ve checked with /etc/asonund.conf (with alsaplugin) and experienced spikes with any user, and the both vlc (standalone) and mpd

>permissions are the same do you mean 'root' permissions?

rwxr-xr-x for all of them. Who cares about the owner. Is there a any difference?

I was able to use a /home/pi/ libpeppyalsa.so (your one, not from peppyalsa-master), but I had to rename usr/local/lib to /usr/local/qwe

I understand nothing :-(

Constantly recalling that killing python3 on the system start ruins the networking, the machine got inaccessible. It's reproducible, I faced that 3 times

There is something strange with the image