Peavey XR696F + Peavey Impulse 1012's...??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff...

I have the opportunity of getting a used Peavey XR696F for 250$ and two Peavey Impulse 1012's for around 400$. I'd be using it for my 5 piece band (2 guitars/vocals, bass, keys/vocals, drums) for rehearsals (in my basement: 30'x13') and small gigs (50-200 people). I'm hoping to run 3 vocals, 2 guitars and a keyboard/synth through it. My bass player has his own amp (Peavey TKO115) that would be better for bass. We are sort of rock/indie/folk.. so we aren't too loud or too quiet. The 1012's are 8 ohm (500w continuous/1000w prgm/2000w peak), 100.0db at 1m, speakers which we would be using for mains. The XR696F is 600w/channel (manual says 360w RMS into 8ohms & 500w RMS into 4 ohms). The speakers are 8 ohms and I'd probably be using one speaker per channel.

Would 360w going into each 500w speaker be enough to power the speakers for my bands purposes?
Later on we'd like to add POWERED monitors and potentially a POWERED sub/s. How do I go about setting that up with the XR696F?
Is the system loud enough to keep up with acoustic drums? (Our drummer isn't aggressive)
What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I've filled a 200 seat church with two 1012's (I think) and a ST120 (Watt) hifi amp. I was playing 8 tracks out of a synthesizer-sequencer. Voice was acoustic, 20 singers at one end of a long brick auditorium, ie ideal acoustics. Of course a church has a quiet audience, but there was lots of heavy clothing and carpet to soak up sound. It was a Christmas cantata, I was doing the orchestral-keyboard backup track live with some sequenced tracks.
Are the 1012's the column speaker that says "T-300 projector" and has three tweeters on top and two 10" woofers underneath? Somebody told me my "T-300 projectors" were really some name like 1012's but I forgot to write the number down and it is one product that is so old the Peavey website doesn't have a brochure on it. My two speakers I paid $300 for but that was 25 years ago. They are so old, after 20 years storage one has drifted below 6 ohms on the ohmmeter, so I think one of the electrolytic crossover caps must have shorted or something. They were > 6 ohms when I bought them. (8 ohm impedance reads about 20% lower on a meter, resistance part only). So check yours before you buy them, you don't want to blow up a transistor amp with too much current. The repair non-polar capacitor would be under $10 per speaker, but the tools to put it in (SP35 soldering iron, decent solder, pliers and cutters, safety glasses) would be about $80.
My 1012's sounded good on simulated piano, which is one of the toughest sounds to reproduce, so 350 W should be fine. That is if you are not running the drummer through the PA. (My new to me SP2-XT's sound better, but weigh a lot more).
BTW, the dynakit ST120 amp had enough current out to make enough sound, but the heat sinks were not big enough and I melted the solder off a capacitor at the end of a 3 hour rehearsal. A wire sprung up and hit the cover, and blew up the output transistors. That's the difference between a hifi amp and a PA amp from a reputable manufacturer like Peavey. Peavey PA amps can produce rated power all day, and have a fan to help the cooling, too.
Have fun.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.