Peavey Schematics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 1972 Peavey Standard Head, 260 series I'd like very much to repair. I loved its clean crisp sound. Some of the resistors are smoked, and can't read the markings. Anyone know where I can find the schematic? I've emailed the "contact us" and "repair" on the Peavey.com website with no answer. Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

Peaver Schematics

Thanks for the reply. But it is solid state. I've scanned the circuit board, and trying to draw it out on paper simplified, and maybe figure out the general - I guess topology - is the right word. All 4 power transistors are blown, so I don't want to take a chance and guess at the resistor size. Another fellow musician gave me a phone number for Peavey in Mississippi last evening. It's still early here in Tennessee, USA, so I'm going to try that number today during working hours.

Being one of the cheaper models, I could replace it I guess, it even has the old 2N3055 transistors. But there's just something about the sound of this amp matched up with my 60s Gibson SG that I've not heard with other amps. Just what you get used to I guess. Thanks again for your effort.

You can get the schematics from PV alright. Call 601-483-5365 and go to parts. They email them for free and paper copies cost $2.50. I visit the repair forum there daily, but don't recall seeing your post offhand. Generally they are good about responding to support requests.

Note the letters on the foil side of the amp board. The 260 module came in several flavors, 260, 260C, 260D, etc.

In place of the 2N3055s I would suggest MJ15003 as a more reliable choice.

If you have the really old one, there are two driver transistors in TO220s. Original part numbers on them were 430 and 431. The small resistors associated with each of those are 47 ohm. In the emitter leg of the 430 and the collector leg of the 431.

Foil Side Numbers

Only lettering/numbers on the foil side are 130W in one area, and HDP-U 6/8/72. It has a lot of NTE parts. In a row, are a Tip 31c, Tip30c, and another Tip31c. Maybe they're not supposed to be, for this application, but the Tip 30 & 31 are not complimentary pairs. Even though it did have a great sound, I have a feeling someone has installed some miss-matched parts. That's the reason I want the schematics so I can put it back factory original. I will take your advice and use the updated transistors though. I believe I have some I got as samples.

I have been in touch with Peavey. They have been real nice, but I've spent a lot of time on hold. Silly me couldn't find the 5 digit serial number, which was on the bottom of the case. so I've got to call back Monday.

Thanks for the reply & advice.

YES Enzo

You are right. In place of the 430 & 431, they have Tip 30 and Tip 31. The burned resistors ARE coming off the collector of the 30, and emitter of the 31. But Tip complimentary pairs are 29/30 and 31/32. It worked good for about a year, but that could eventually make a difference.

Thanks again

If you call Peavey or anyone else, avoid calling mid-day since that is when everyone else calls. I call my dealer numbers which I can't give out, but I never wait more than a minute or two. Best time to call is right when they open, about 9AM central time.

1972 260 power amp should be sufficient identification then.

Transistors are SOOO not critical. The factory sub sheet lists both TIP31C and TIP29C as subs for the 430, and TIP30C and 32C for the 431. I doubt they will change the sound of this much one compared to the other. For what it is worth I would always select the higher current one given that choice.

Stay away from the overpriced NTE stuff, since the real parts are cheaper and inevitably a closer match.

Remember that this solid state amp compares the output with the input at the diffy pair or input op amp so it corrects for small gain differences between the push and pull sides.

Enzo - Mission Accomplished

The Peavey people were very busy, but polite and very helpful. Malinda in the Parts department sent me the schematics via computer at no charge. I got the old timer up and running in no time. I had them in stock, so I replaced the 430c & 431c with Tip 31c & Tip 32c. Replaced the 47 ohm resistors, and installed 4 new 3055s. It sounds great. Can't tell any difference. While I got it open, think I'll put a small slow running fan in the box somewhere, fed by its own power supply. Those 3055s get pretty warm when running a couple 15" speakers. Thanks again for your reply.

Case Closed

Peavey Standard 260 schematic

I need a schematic for the Peavey Standard 260. I am working on a customers amp that was butchered in another repair shop. I have called peavey & emailed them requesting schematic for several months, they keep promising to send but it hasn't show up yet? If one of you fellows could email me a copy I would greatly appreciate it.
Gary

Hi there:

First post, welcome people bla bla bla.

I've got a Peavey mark III bass combo and behind it says Peavey Series 260C.
I mailed Peavey people about two years ago asking for the manual and they gave me the URL, it must be somewhere deep buried in my gmail...just ask for it

The problem is that the amp is good but as you pass 2 in the gain knob, it starts to distort everything and as I'm not a big black metal fan, this thing really annoys me.

So if someone can send me those schematics to rockarolla666_at_gmail.com i'd really appreciate it, as I'm living in Spain and i can't make international calls everyday (and as you see my english sucks)

Thanks people!

Sorry to revive such an ancient thread but I've found myself with a Peavey Standard 260 amplifier that's on indefinite loan. Peavey does have the maual online. Go to the link above and search for 'standard amplifier'. You'll see a link to 'Standard Download Manual' which will take you to the .pdf for the owners manual. The manual shows a block diagram that explains how the series and parallel inputs work and the schematic is in the back. Fortunately, the amp I have is exactly the same as in the manual. It has the series and parallel inputs and the master gain and reverb control. It even has a schematic for the footswitch, yay!

Customer service at Peavey will send you any schematic you request.

But of all the PV schematics, the 5150/6505 and the Classic 30 are all over the internet.

Schematic Heaven has one someone re-drew for readability:
http://www.schematicheaven.com/newamps/peavey_evh5150.pdf

The factory schematic is also at The Blue Guitar

But the file the factory will send you will include the parts list and layout image.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.