Peavey Hisys Speaker Advice Please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

My daughters band run a couple of Peavey hisys 6xt speakers.

It would seem that one of them has failed and in swapping bit froms the good one we have confirmed that it is the woofer cone at fault.

The cone is a Scorpion S-10825 10" 8OHM

Getting a direct replacement seems to be a battle in the UK.

Are there any suggestions for a non Scorpion replacement.

My concern is that if you google a picture of the S-10825 the have a metal housing and I am not sure if this is removable ?

Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Andrew

Important question: does your Daughter´s band run them as mid-high units as Peavey intended? (accompanying a subwoofer) or on their own?

If alone, consider they are not meant to *really* put out Bass (unless it´s an Acoustic band) and trying to may have damaged it, plus damaging replacements in the future.

If used as intended (with reduced Bass drive), I bet there are other brands available but just to mention one, Faital Pro makes very good quite efficient PA type speakers, on the level of Scorpion or better.

Inexpensive "almost" the same would be:
Faital Pro 10FE200 10" Speakers - Faital Pro 10FE200 home hi-fi, studio, mid-bass, bass guitar speaker 10" speaker. Faital Pro 10FE200 300 watt 10" efficiency of 96dB SPL speaker
at very acceptable U$57.
Being Italian you certainly can get them in the UK (Brexit notwhistanding) without excessive overseas freight.
Quite close specs (specially FR and efficiency) but only 150W RMS; no big deal unless they drive it **hard**

There are also units way better than Scorpion but at a steeper price, above 200U$, and in that case I would replace *both* speakers, because the Faitals are louder, soyou keep balance:

Faital Pro 10PR320 10" Speakers - Faital Pro 10PR320 10" bass guitar speaker and that has a lightweight neodymium magnet - Faital Pro 10PR320 600 watt 10" with efficiency of 96dB SPL. For all high power bass applications. Faital Pro 10PR320 bass guit

Faital Pro 10PR300 10" Speakers - Faital Pro 10PR300 10" speaker and that has a lightweight neodymium magnet - Faital Pro 10PR300 600 watt 10" high efficiency of 98dB SPL woofer for all high power bass applications. Faital Pro

Faital Pro 10PR310 10" Speakers - Faital Pro 10PR310 10" speaker for bass guitar or as a mid-bass speaker - Faital Pro 10PR310 600 watt 10" high efficiency of 98dB SPL woofer for all high power bass applications. Faital Pro 10PR310

Faital Pro 10PR330 10" Speakers - Faital Pro 10PR330 10" speaker for bass guitar or as a bass speaker - Faital Pro 10PR330 600 watt 10" high Xmax of 7.37mm speaker for all high power bass applications. Faital Pro 10PR330

https://usspeaker.com/faital pro 10fh530-1.htm

one problem you may find is that Scorpions have a unique "squared off" frame and maybe others do not fit in available space.

Another option is to try to find a Scorpion replacement basket (difficult but not impossible) or get an aftermarket reconing kit from USA and have it locally reconed.

Me? : I´d buy the inexpensive FE200 which still is a very good speaker and use it, just not being **heavy handed** at the PA desk.

I would not fit "any odd speaker" there, Scorpions are very high quality, in my book "mini Electro Voice" or equivalent: high quality, flat sound (by PA standards), 2 1/2" edgewound aluminum voice coil, precision machined magnetic circuit, cast frame, the works.

Important question: does your Daughter´s band run them as mid-high units as Peavey intended? (accompanying a subwoofer) or on their own?

If alone, consider they are not meant to *really* put out Bass (unless it´s an Acoustic band) and trying to may have damaged it, plus damaging replacements in the future.

If used as intended (with reduced Bass drive), I bet there are other brands available but just to mention one, Faital Pro makes very good quite efficient PA type speakers, on the level of Scorpion or better.

Inexpensive "almost" the same would be:
Faital Pro 10FE200 10" Speakers - Faital Pro 10FE200 home hi-fi, studio, mid-bass, bass guitar speaker 10" speaker. Faital Pro 10FE200 300 watt 10" efficiency of 96dB SPL speaker
at very acceptable U$57.
Being Italian you certainly can get them in the UK (Brexit notwhistanding) without excessive overseas freight.
Quite close specs (specially FR and efficiency) but only 150W RMS; no big deal unless they drive it **hard**

There are also units way better than Scorpion but at a steeper price, above 200U$, and in that case I would replace *both* speakers, because the Faitals are louder, soyou keep balance:

Faital Pro 10PR320 10" Speakers - Faital Pro 10PR320 10" bass guitar speaker and that has a lightweight neodymium magnet - Faital Pro 10PR320 600 watt 10" with efficiency of 96dB SPL. For all high power bass applications. Faital Pro 10PR320 bass guit

Faital Pro 10PR300 10" Speakers - Faital Pro 10PR300 10" speaker and that has a lightweight neodymium magnet - Faital Pro 10PR300 600 watt 10" high efficiency of 98dB SPL woofer for all high power bass applications. Faital Pro

Faital Pro 10PR310 10" Speakers - Faital Pro 10PR310 10" speaker for bass guitar or as a mid-bass speaker - Faital Pro 10PR310 600 watt 10" high efficiency of 98dB SPL woofer for all high power bass applications. Faital Pro 10PR310

Faital Pro 10PR330 10" Speakers - Faital Pro 10PR330 10" speaker for bass guitar or as a bass speaker - Faital Pro 10PR330 600 watt 10" high Xmax of 7.37mm speaker for all high power bass applications. Faital Pro 10PR330

https://usspeaker.com/faital pro 10fh530-1.htm

one problem you may find is that Scorpions have a unique "squared off" frame and maybe others do not fit in available space.

Another option is to try to find a Scorpion replacement basket (difficult but not impossible) or get an aftermarket reconing kit from USA and have it locally reconed.

Me? : I´d buy the inexpensive FE200 which still is a very good speaker and use it, just not being **heavy handed** at the PA desk.

I would not fit "any odd speaker" there, Scorpions are very high quality, in my book "mini Electro Voice" or equivalent: high quality, flat sound (by PA standards), 2 1/2" edgewound aluminum voice coil, precision machined magnetic circuit, cast frame, the works.

Firstly many thanks for your prompt reply.

This is where I think they have made a mistake.

They have

A Mackie CFX16 MKII Mixer
Linked to a 2000w AMP (Not sure on make or model)
because they only need vocals at the moment thay have just been plugging the pair of Peavey Hisys 6XT speakers straight into the 2000w amp and to me this is where i think they may have caused the damage.

But they also have a pair of Peavey Hisys 112xt Bass Speakers and although hey dont need any bass for the vocals I feel they should have been plugging the 112xt's into the AMP and then the 6XTS into the output on the 112xts.

Also at some point I think the may have tried a kick drum mic straight into the 6XTS (this could be what destroyed one of them)

Hope this helps and again many thaks for your time and advice.

Firstly many thanks for your prompt reply.

This is where I think they have made a mistake.

They have

A Mackie CFX16 MKII Mixer
Linked to a 2000w AMP (Not sure on make or model)
because they only need vocals at the moment thay have just been plugging the pair of Peavey Hisys 6XT speakers straight into the 2000w amp and to me this is where i think they may have caused the damage.

But they also have a pair of Peavey Hisys 112xt Bass Speakers and although hey dont need any bass for the vocals I feel they should have been plugging the 112xt's into the AMP and then the 6XTS into the output on the 112xts.

Also at some point I think the may have tried a kick drum mic straight into the 6XTS (this could be what destroyed one of them)

Hope this helps and again many thaks for your time and advice.

Just found out the AMP is a Samson S2000 which according to its specs can deliver

1045 Watts into 4 Ohms
And
670 Watts into 8 Ohms

In stereo mode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.