Peak Voltage On The Crown 5000vz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: nice .....

I have some older linear power supply solid state gear for bass playing that has far better fundemental tone then the newer zoot scooter crap being sold for outrageous prices these days. Also sounds better pretty much everywhere. In fact alot of the new crappy tube amps do not even hold up to some of my mid to late 80's solid state gear.

I have this debate with guys all the time and they never belive me till I plug the old gear into the new Cabinets and compare to their Zoot scooter equipment and they are absolutely amazed at the difference.

Sometimes I geuss you just need big transformers and capcitors.

OMNIFEX said:

I would say the quest for a lot of volume operating on adequate voltage calls for compromise. That compromise is in the sub-bass department where the amperage dictates the outcome.

As I mentioned to sakis, I use two Peavey CS 800X amplifiers in bridged mono mode on bass duty for smaller events. Two CS 800’s residing on a single 20-amp circuit will shut it down easily. The current drawn from each amplifier is, slightly under 13.4 amps under 4 ohms bridged mono mode. That would equate to 1600 watts per amplifier, 3200 watts total, and a snip below 26.8 amps on a continuous basis for bass duty.

The QSC PL 380 draws 41.6 amps. That is a total of 4992 watts peak! QSC proudly express this by saying the following in the PL 380 ratings: “On all models, full power at 2 ohms is automatically limited after several seconds to protect against prolonged component overloading and excess AC current consumption.” It also goes on to say: “The long-term thermally limited current draw of the PL 380 is approximately 30A.”

So, the amp will deliver 3600 watts long-term on bass duty. My, that is a far cry from 8000 watts wouldn’t you say? It may be a decent amplifier for midrange nonetheless.

Cheers!

Aren't you in danger of muddying the water simply by judging an amp's overall performance by looking at the voltage it can provide? It depends on the load and use to which an amp is put. The amp has to be able to back up that voltage with current, slew rate, damping factor etc that all lends to the sound.

The Crown MA....VZ range have a variable impedance power supply (series/parallel fet switches) and grounded bridge (using both sides of the power rails at once) whereas most amps don't. It's more complicated than that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.