PCB vs matrix vs strip board for phono pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In terms of the original question (PCB vs matrix vs...) I have come across something called "dead bug construction". It seems to be referred to by a number of different names but I will be using the variant which builds off a continuous copper-clad board.
gives me a decent ground plane without having to go through painful (and let's face it quite boring) PCB layout and prototyping; I can test parts of the circuit as I progress through the build...
Do you have a link to this dead bug construction? new to me. I know where to buy totally copper clad prototype board, but don't know what to do with it but make masks and etch it and produce a lot of undisposable ugly brown ferric chloride waste.
Oh, and I agree with all your bullits above. Concurs with results of my hum war on the mixer.

Here's one - about 1/2 way through the document...

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sullivan/prototyping.pdf

And another...

DISCRETE WIRING - DEAD BUGS

And this is the kind of construction quality I will aim for...

deadbug - Hack a Day

For component connections which are not grounded I will use little square pads of board glued upside down on the main PCB like the third example rather than have them waving in the breeze. I think that the people who refer to it as "ugly construction" are just being a bit lazy and use this terminology to justify not taking much care/pride in their construction. IMHO that would be OK for a quick prototype but not for a permanent piece of equipment.

The name amuses me as well: an 8-pin DIL on it's back so looks like a dead bug.

The name amuses me as well: an 8-pin DIL on it's back so looks like a dead bug.

Well, to be anatomically correct, install an op amp in the 6 pin DIL package. Dead bug.:)

Thanks for the above. The NASA construction standards was particularly instructive. I have violated some of those in the past, and learned not to by experience. Up to now my guidance has been from Hamman, a factory e-tech, who said "solder joints can be relied on if the wire is mechanically fixed to the attach point before the solder is applied." NASA ideas on dil and other IC's are very instructive and new to me.
As far as the ground plane under the pads, I think that is very useful for radio. I'm not so sure you need it on audio without computers in the steel box with the linear parts. My 9 transistor 22 component djoffe bias board built on self drilled paper board is very quiet, if I put the steel mesh cover on the amplifier. And the Herald Electronics disco mixer with the built in ground plane is fairly noisy, maybe 60 db down after the hum and noise war I waged on it. Was about 40 db down to start with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.