PCB layout for beginners

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Looking for advice. I am going to set up a course on audio electronics design and am looking for a simple, free PCB layout app.
I am using a professional paid-for set which I don't want to use for this case.
What would you guys recommend?
Keywords: free, 'good enough' for audio, not too hard to learn to get going.

Jan

Hi Jan

Even though kicad is as you say having a steep learning curve, if you have a good tutorial and working examples it can make the learning process so much easier. The free tools, other than kicad, many of which, have their limitations and the coupling between schematic and layout is in many cases non-existent or limited.
Pcb design is a process, the better the process usually amounts to better results. It’s like at what point do you need to know about the concept of a pad stack or construction of a via, pcb stack up, mfg fab data etc. A lot of pcb design is understanding the concepts, then once you know the concepts it’s a matter applying them which is slightly different for each application

Rick

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
True Rick, but good integration between schematic and PCB is non-negotiable for me.
I don't want to end up with a PCB where a connection is wrong or overlooked.
The PCB connectivity should be 1:1 exact like in the schematic.
Design-Rule-Checking is also standard these days, with configureable design rules by class.
Computers are good at that, humans not.
I had a quick look at easyeda and it seems well thought out.

Jan

Ask yourself does easyeda meet your design process requirements?
It depends on what you require the tool to do for you. For instance BOM creation is a subject in itself. It’s part of the design process, do you want it automated in some regard so it’s easy for documentation or loading up to say a Mouser shopping cart to order parts. Or are you required to do it manually because of a limitation in the tool set? In many cases it come down to productivity or time spent on clerical duties. Is a resistor just a symbol, a value and a associated footprint or is there more to it as in a database behind that resistor?

Last edited:
Keep in mind EasyEDA is cloud hosted and has tight integration into LCSC components and JLPCB, the free version has google ads.

Anything cloud hosted is essentially a wall garden, easy to join and difficult to leave.

Anyone getting into pcb design should really consider Kicad, there are downloads for Windows, macOS and Linux and has a massive community behind it including active ongoing development.

Kicad will eventually push the smaller commercial packages like Diptrace and Sprint out of business.

I don't understand the Kicad steep learning curve views, I went from downloading Kicad to laying out a schematic and pcb in a few hours, there are numerous webpages and youtube videos to get you started.

Another useful utility to aid pcb design is Saturn PCB Design Toolkit (free) - https://saturnpcb.com/saturn-pcb-toolkit/

I suggest before getting into pcb design have at least a basic understanding of electronics theory.

Reactions: 1 user
The ability of learning a new ecad package depends on if it’s the first time you used ecad. It’s a case of learning to drive the toolset vs knowing the fundamentals of ecad in the first place.
I remember back in the early 90’s when designing pcbs using cadnetix sw on sun Unix workstations, the EE’s did the schematics/ design and we had the girls in the dark room running the pcb layout software. The girls were not trained in EE so it was a case of placing components, connecting the rats nest(nets) , generating the fab data and documentation. The good ole days of having to create a photo plot aperture table. Each design was photo plotted and we would get a check plot to review before committing to fab :) yes I am dating myself but I still use a Gerber viewer as the checkplot part of the process. Jlcpcb has a built in Gerber viewer so that’s one more means to verification

Jan,
Maybe this is good historical info for your document on pcb design

Last edited:
Keep in mind EasyEDA is cloud hosted
Not necessarily true. I use the offline PRO (free) version and I found it way easier than kicad.

When using non chinese brands for components, they usually add the footprint the next day if you apply for it. (In case it isn't available)

For components like capacitors and Resistors, I usually use Yageo, TDK and Panasonic footprints

Keep in mind EasyEDA is cloud hosted and has tight integration into LCSC components and JLPCB, the free version has google ads.
I disagree with the google ads comment. I've been using the free version for years and there are no ads on mine at all.

Although tied to LCSC and JLCPCB, you get to use the thousands of component footprints without obligation to buy anything from them and you can produce gerbers - I use PCBway - so choice of fab house is not restricted in any way.

You can easily move from schematic to PCB, use an autorouter (if that's your thing), generate 3D models, BOMs etc..

I tried Altium, Eagle, KiCad but found they were not intuitive enough for me to just throw down components and get going.

EasyEDA would be my vote for beginners.

Reactions: 1 user