PC sucks - so slow compared to Macintosh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jgwinner said:
Defrag your hard drive!

It makes a HUGE difference in speed. If you send / receive a lot of email, or surf the web ;) it'll fragment a hard drive fast.

The disc is almost empty. The problem I suspect is the communication.

I think defragmentation problem is overrated when we talk speed for normal applications. My experience on Mac is that you can win a little and only when the disk is almost full.

If you need large free spaces, erase the disk and have partitions or separate disk for video, audio and similar.

Defragmention is a vaste of time I think (for normal users).

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Take the user concept and the networking concept. Not easy to understand, compared to Mac.

Never talk with technicians about the Appletalk protocol ! Or Appletalk over IP. :yuck:
It works immediately because the machines are talking to eachother like old ladies the whole time. Because of that it creates more overhead than Netbeui. And networking on a Mac really is not transparent. Ever tried to combine a dialup connection and a ethernet connection on a Mac ? Please stop this nonsense. Both platforms have their ups and downs. A discussion like this always end up the Mac-guys being the underdogs that are very productive and creative and the pc-guys that are slaves of M$ etc. etc. And that Mac runs on Unix nowadays of course !

If your pc is slower than your old Mac there simply is something wrong with your hardware or a software-setting. It can't be that a 800 MHz pc is slower than a G3. Or are we talking about a 800 MHz LAPTOP with a 2,5 inch disk ? Turn on UltraDMA, check if there are updates for your pc's BIOS, learn your OS for God's sake and stop whining that Mac is better, faster, nicer etc. Or throw the damn pc away and buy the newest G4. I already hear the stories on birthdays that pc's really are nothing compared to Mac's and that you're glad you returned to those beautiful machines that are so userfriendly :yummy:

Defragmention is a vaste of time I think (for normal users).

I don't even comment on that one. I service Mac's and I know better.

The point of making new folders with your keyboard only I don't see as I think the makers ( and the users ) of Windows intended to do everything with a mouse combined with a keyboard. There are however a lot of short commands. Buy a book about XP and read and learn the same way you learnt your MacOS. It will pay itself back. :yes:

I don't see what this all has to do with DIY audio.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
fezz said:
looking at the specks (i know them off hand) the MAC uses a 66MHz FSB, with IDE 33MB/S hard disk transfers - this limits the whole transfer of data from the hard disk or CD drive to CD writer to 33MB/s at this is only a theritecal speed, and there will be two devices on the same IDE cable - this is 1/2 of that - 16.75MB/s top

Just a point of interest. Beige G3s (and all desktop macs since) have a separate IDE bus for the CD & the HD. (matter of fact Rev A & B Beige do not support slaves on the IDE bus so there can only be one device per IDE... in the Rev C this was fixed, but broke again in the 1st generation of Smurf G3)

dave

planet10 said:

I think your posts lacks respect...

dave :captain:
(moderator hat on)

I think your post lacks foresight...

Where was your hat when you read the subject header for this thread? My response was to that, which as computer geeks all know instigates CONTROVERSY. Sorry that I'm not touchy feely, I call it like I see it, I will try to be more sensitive next time.

:grouphug:

Rob

Jean-Paul and everybody else: Take a full CD 600 MB or so and copy the whole thing into a harddisk. How long will it take at your machines? Just a test. I'm happy for you if I'm beaten with my tired old Mac.

My problem was very practical: I had a visit from a sales guy and we waited for the **** machine to get ready to work with.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I did what you suggested, Per-Anders.

I took the TI Designers Guide June 2001 which is 665 mb big cd. It is a "difficult" cd in the sense that it has a enormous amount of very small *.pdf files. I am sure a cd with just a few big files will give better results. The pc I used is a 1100 MHz Tualatin Celeron, 256 mb SDRAM on a Epox mainboard with UDMA 100. Harddisk is a cheap WD400EB 5400 rpm ATA100 disk.

From my cdrw drive ( Aopen CRW3248 limited to 40x reading for reduction of noise, firmware 1.17 ) it took almost 7 minutes to copy all files to the HD.

From my NEC 5800A DVD drive ( firmware 1.0B ) it took 3.30 minutes.

Windows XP Home edition dutch was used. Outlook Express was open and diyaudio.com was open too in a IE6 session.

Results with CDR's are worse than with normal CD's but that won't surprise anybody I think.

Christer said:
fezz said:

looking at the specks (i know them off hand) the MAC uses a 66MHz FSB, with IDE 33MB/S hard disk transfers - this limits the whole transfer of data from the hard disk or CD drive to CD writer to 33MB/s at this is only a theritecal speed, and there will be two devices on the same IDE cable - this is 1/2 of that - 16.75MB/s top

The FSB does not decide the transfer speed on the IDE channels,
although the FSB will usually be a multiple of the IDE speed. There
are various ATA standards for the IDE channels, using transfer
speeds of 33, 66 and 100 MB/s (maybe there are even faster
ones now). You cannot choose this arbitrarily depending on
which CPU you put in the machine, since both motherboard and
IDE devices must be specified for the particular ATA standard
you are using.

You are right, though, that two devices on the same channel
will compete for the bandwidth, which is why one usually puts
hard disk and CD writer on different IDE channels.

in comparison the celeron system can (depending on motherboard) have a 100MHz FSB, and can transfer data from the hard disk to other thing (such as CD writer) at speeds of up to 100MB/s

again in real life this will be halved to 50MB/s

No, as I said above, there is no such correlation between FSB
and IDE channels. The FSB specifies the clock frequency on the
bus between the processor and the chip set. This is often, but
not always the same as the clock frequency on the memory bus.
The PCI and IDE buses must usually be synchronized with the
FSB so that the FSB is a multiple of both these. The chipset used
determines how much flexibility there is in choosing different
multiples.

modern P4's can transfer data around their motherbaord at speeds of up to 533MHz and data at speeds of up to 133MB/s

What do you mean???
I think, however, you are assuming that the FSB figure refers to
the number of bytes per second that can be transferred, which
is not the case. The FSB is the clock frequency on the bus
between the CPU and the chip set. The actual transfer rate
depends on the width of this bus and how often data can be
transferred (once per clock cycle, twice,...) On the memory bus
(which need not have the same clock frequency) you usually do
not transfer data every clock cycle, since dynamic RAM are used,
and these need several clock cycles per access.

the front side bus does effect the transfer of data, this is because the IDE (or SCSI in the case of old macs) is on the motherboard and instructions are sent to it at the FSB speed - this is limiting the speed of the data transfer - for example underclock a modern computer so the front side bus is 50MHz, but increase the multiplier so the cpu speed stays the same, this will effect all the computer operations as data is being stored in ram when transfers are being made and the ram will operate at a slower speed creating a bottle neck in the system

I did not say that Front Side Bus speeds bear a direction corrolation with the IDE speeds, justreducing the speed of one WILL create a bottleneck for the simple reason memory is used to transfer data from one place to another.

One point i think no one has picked up on is that some (if not all of the old G3 macs) used a SCSI hard disk, i do not know which type but i can say that is WAS faster then the IDE specification at the time - however as the CD drive and probably the CD RW are on an IDE bus (for simple reasons of avalablitity and price) and this will limit the transfer speed of the data to IDE speeds.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CD TO DISK COPYING

Hello folks,

Per,

All factory standard machines I've seen (and I see about 10.000/year) have their bios settings set to default.

What this means in the real world is that they play it safe and rather put out a slowish PC then an optimally working one.

Optimal setting will vary form one configuration to the next so some understanding of what does what are nessecary.
Not always easy,especially when the machine is not accompanied by a clearly written guide.

Things to look for are memory (RAM) timings,video and bios caching and ,would you believe it, some even hit the market with processor caching disabled.

Naturally correct DMA settings will play an important role and are often not set either in bios nor in software.

Havoc mentioned also virus scanning software and depending on how smart this is it will often slow down transfers of files considerably.
However I can't recommend disabling it since it would then be rendered useless and leave the machine unprotected.

Also there is little point in asking members to do some copying unless every single one of them would use the same CD for this.

The quoted transfer rates on IDE channels are labtested BURST readings and usually a far cry from what is realistic for everyday work.

Also,as mentioned before: stupid indexing services (developed for mega companies) such as MS Office indexer are absolutely useless even when you would create a dozen files everyday in Office.
It can be disabled in "Control Panel".

So what does the OS do when you copy a file from one location to another?

-File integrety gets checked at source (CRC).
-File gets opened.
-File gets checked for viri by software you may have installed.
-File gets copied in memory.
-File gets written to the new location.
-File gets checked for integrety.
-New file gets checked for viri.
-File remains in memory untill overwritten by a new user request.

A last point is to check for needless tasks running in the background,scheduled tasks,backup software, whatever.
These usually eat up quite a bit of the available resources.

Oh,fragmented files do require much more head movement from the drive so will definitely slow down read and write actions.

Glad to back,

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
MS OFFICE

Hi,

Thanks Bob!

I don't have that part of it installed on my machine but from the top of my head here goes:

Open up "Control Panel",within the collection of icons there should be one related to Ms Office.

Open it and it will show you what it has currently indexed (default is any partition/drive you have).

You can now safely delete all those indexes,then check stop indexing and close.
End of story and you have a much quieter and resourceful machine.

Sorry if what I explain does not really correspond with what you actually see but you should be able to figure it out.

I'm not sure this is installed with Office 2002 but on 2000 and some previous versions it definitely should be there.

Ciao,;)

Thank you Frank for a little bit more ideas. This indexing can be something, also the virus checking. Especially the Celeron was thinking much without CD or harddisk access.

I appreciate real tips instead of that I'm an underdog. Since I have a speed monster I also want it to feel like one.

Since I use both platforms I also know the differencies but I haven't used XP so much yet. I don't want PC to suck more than a Mac. I just want technology that really can perform. I don't care about MHz or GHz (says nothing!). I care about user experience.

jean-paul said:
The point of making new folders with your keyboard only I don't see as I think the makers ( and the users ) of Windows intended to do everything with a mouse combined with a keyboard. There are however a lot of short commands. Buy a book about XP and read and learn the same way you learnt your MacOS. It will pay itself back. :yes:

I don't see what this all has to do with DIY audio.

This was a sensitive subject, Jean-Paul, I gather.

In the beginning Mac had almost none shortcuts via key strokes, DOS was ONLY that. Eventually Mac got more and more CMD-something and DOS became Windows. Later Windows got less and less short commands in favour for "right-clicking". Mac has kept the short commands AND implemented "right-clicking (or CMD-clickning). Mac users can choose what they like in this matter.

I understand that you don't know what I'm talking about cause PC users usually don't use the desktop very much but have a cool file handler is really important. "Finder" along with ACTION Utilities is something a PC user only can dream about. If you haven't seen it you don't know what to except. If only ACTION was availible on XP.....!

I use still use Mac OS 9 and haven't yet understood the coolness of MacOS X (UNIX). The UNIX (and LINUX) nerds are drewling over it. I have seen a little of it and it looks nice.

And yes, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with audio but I stirred up emotions and got some good answers.

Haveone tested audio editing and music on MacOS X? I read a musician magazine and they almost wet thier pants when they come into MacOS X. I gather that Mac works really good in the audio business.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hooray for Frank!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Frank,

Glad you're back to stirr things up a little. I started to miss your witty remarks a bit :eek:

Mac has kept the short commands AND implemented "right-clicking (or CMD-clickning)

That is if you get rid of the original one button mouse I guess.

I understand that you don't know what I'm talking about cause PC users usually don't use the desktop very much but have a cool file handler is really important.

I work with Macintosh machines too Per-Anders. I don't come from another planet. Although I sometimes feel that way if I stay too long between genuine Mac users that are discussing what colour their new Mac is gonna be. :boggled:
BTW you use Mac OS 9 and haven't yet understood the coolness of MacOS X !?!? Buy Jaguar next monday and you really have something exceptionally good in your hands compared to MacOS 9. Do it, as a Mac user you certainly won't be disappointed. Oh wait, don't do it. I already can see the new topics about MacOS X problems... You will be disappointed though about speed and responsiveness of the system. It feels more like eh... Windows XP perhaps ?

Haveone tested audio editing and music on MacOS X? I read a musician magazine and they almost wet thier pants when they come into MacOS X. I gather that Mac works really good in the audio business.

OMG, Per-Anders does it again :yikes:

Jean-Paul

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
DOEI.

Hi guys,

Hello Jean-Paul,good to see you around as well.;)

Per-Anders,

I'm familair with older Mac OS versions so I know what Finder does but these Action Utilities,what do these do and did they come with the OS itself?

And yes, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with audio but I stirred up emotions and got some good answers.

If I'm not mistaken,isn't this why this section exists?

And for the record,even the very first Mac OS was based on Unix,Steve Jobbs did most of that pioneering so I reckon this OS X is a further development of that.
I could be wrong about this but it sure reaks as if Mac wants to grab the attention of the Linux crowd with this marketing trick.

Now I just hope I haven't stirred too much up....:rolleyes:

Cherio,:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.