PC + sound card instead of a behringer DCX2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 2 cents: if it's possible to use the DSP on the sound card, that has to be better than tying up the PC. It should also mean you could run an older PC like a Pentium I which doesn't need as much cooling, and which is dirt cheap so you can afford to dedicate it just to being a crossover or EQ.

Echo Audio's soundcards all have a Motorola DSP onboard, but I don't think it's possible to write own code for it. On Event web site there is a SDK available, but the DSP code is missing, it's there but as binary constants in C programs. Maybe you could use a disassembler to convert the code in more readibly format and then rewrite it to support downloadable FIR impulse responses?

the DSP has to be software, since we will need the best coverage of the different sound cards ... i do not see myself restricted to only 1-2 cards just because we need the chip that is on it.

Then if you wish to get a low DB lox cost computer, don't get something old, because you will be lacking in power for DSP, video and such ..

my computer runs HDTV ( and records it too :) ) so it needs to be fast ...

Then 24bit 96hz is a minimum unless you only intend to listen CD music

neway ... i'd also pay a few hundreds without problem is there would be a software solution
that would give as much control as something like :

DEQX or BSS minidrives ..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.