• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PC Boards for v9?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter:

If you are indeed going to make the F4 changes, I'd be interested in whatever it takes to do a pair of monoblocks i.e. "100 watt balanced mono-block use" from the F4 Owner's Manual... I guess 4 amp boards and 4 power supply boards? Any idea of the cost yet, as perhaps I'd order some another set depending on the price ;)

The F3 is a tuned version of the Zen#9.

Nelson himself says

The two are very similar, and from the DIY perspective
the differences are not worth bothering about.

The F3 has some refinements more applicable to those
with sophisticated test equipment.

However I'm always a fan of improvements and better measurement results usually translate into better sounding.

Since the changes should be quite tiny I definitely opt for the F3.

Cheers, Hannes

PS: if you let me some time, I count the rough # of boards, Peter.

PPS: Hi Marc! Also keen on the F3?

Zv9 or F3 boards?

Hi all,

Please forgive me if this has been asked before but the thread is quite long now and I couldn't find the info. Is this group buy for First Watt F3 boards or Zen #9? Or area the boards the same?

On the F3 wiki it says "A PCB set included two PS boards and two Zv9 boards." thus the confusion....

If so I'm in for a set of boards to build a two channel amp, that would be 2 boards for the audio (one left and one right channel) and 2 boards for the power supply, right?

I was looking at the photo on the 6moons review of the F3 (top view)
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt4/f3_2.html and the 2 boards for the audio section are different, i.e. they are mirrored.

Will the boards will be like this or they'll be equal?
Also in that review, the PSU seems to be on a single board....

Regards,
Luis

This thread started originally with boards for the Zen#9 (group buy was done and no boards are left) and now changes over to the F3.

No need for confusion, these amps are quite the same. The F3 was Nelson's commercial offering (firstwatt) of the Zen#9 and was slightly more tweaked.

Since they're so much the same I expect that the original Zen#9 boards are just slightly changed, but since I really don't know and some scheme needed to be setup, so that PD know how many boards are wanted, I chose the original Zen#9 scheme (2x amp boards + 2x psu boards for stereo).

Anyway I added you to the list, just let me know if I got you wrong.

Cheers, Hannes

Personally, I love the F3 layout very much (it has grown on me !).

It seems to keep the audio section down at one end, and all the PSU stuff (current source, etc.) down at the other end. It's not as compact as the original ZenV9 board, but is quite slender, and would mount nicely on a normal heatsink, or flanged heatsink.

It would be nice of the board were slightly modified to handle those lovely Jensen 4-pole caps, but in the end, it'll be up to PD what/how the board is layed out.

He hasn't gone wrong before, and those F4 boards look stunning !!!

Small update: presumably this week PD will adapt the Zen#9 layout to the F3.

The order itself has to wait until somebody confirms that the F4 boards are working (PD wants to order the F3 boards together with the F4 boards) - so come on people! Build the F4 and let Peter know!

Cheers, Hannes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.