Pavel's MOSFET Follower - No Darlington Mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OH!!!

HEAT! From the Cap Multiplier!!
I really forgot about its existence after connecting it for the second time. With 2.2A, it was not much hot. But from today morning it's carrying 3A and has become the hottest part in the system! Well, not unmanageably hot though; can place my fingers on its heatsink for about five seconds.

Running the follower in 3Amp quiescent current. 24V supply. Clearly a better sounding config. Summertime failsafe test, in spring :), Whatever. Everything's going as well as expected except the multiplier. I need a fan.

Another news,
I have been reporting Rod Elliot about my modifications on the CCS since the day PMA suggested me to do so in December and the original article in the audio pages has been updated with the FET CCS mods on the follower. Rod is a kind guy.

Project 83 - MOSFET Power Follower

Last edited:
The Boards.

Here are some pictures of my version of DoZ+MPFv2. Both on dot boards, and are the final ones for the system.

The extra 1ohm/2watt resistor seen in one of the boards is the one configured for the summertime 24V/3Amp setting. The other board is going through the same process now. The underside has become "scratchy" in a part of the layout, this happened while removing the BIG 1ohm/10watt resistors. Otherwise I am happy with these.

The "work on progress" version of the original MPFv1 on the same boards can be seen in the last attachment. It was taken around September or so. Note the 2.2+4.7ohm resistors to form a 1.5ohm resistor :eek:.

Cheers.

Attachments

• DSC01229.JPG
    DSC01229.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC01227.JPG
    DSC01227.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 486
  • DSC01226.JPG
    DSC01226.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC01228.JPG
    DSC01228.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC01231.JPG
    DSC01231.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC01230.JPG
    DSC01230.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC01232.JPG
    DSC01232.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC01234.JPG
    DSC01234.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC01590.jpg
    DSC01590.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 186
It's looking good Shaan !

On the topic of output emitter resistors. I added these to my simulations. They certainly do a good job of controlling the temperature sensitivity of the bias current. They don't do it any better than putting a temperature compensation diode on the heatsink. But I have realized that I was assuming perfect 'negative thermal feedback' for the diode approach. What I failed to recognize was the fact that the temperature of the silicon in the power device package can heat up pretty darn fast and it takes some time for that temperature rise to 'charge up' the thermal capacity of the heatsink. My diode temperature sensor would never be able to react fast enough to save the power device. On this basis, it's all starting to make sense again.

Perhaps those ThermalTrak diodes in-package can be used to avoid the need for those emitter resistors ?

A great Cap always costs less than a great Transformer.

A shame that we can't eliminate both in an se class-a amp like this. But wait, this is the way life works. Either Cap or Tranny. Choose your poison, expensive poisons taste sweeter. :D :drink:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.