Paul Carmody Carrera build - Completed and audibly Elated!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yeah, I actually did use a prestain, which made a big difference but the end result was still a little blotchy. I've also read that using a spray toner can help reduce the blotchy effect although I didn't try it. Maybe next time I'll try the toner fas I really like working with Baltic Birch.

Try shellac, particularly the darker varieties if you want a colour shift. Buy only good quality shellac, and ensure it's fresh. Just don't let your wife put a glass with alcohol on it. :)

The Carrera impedance curve, shows a relatively higher impedance in the 1KHz and beyond region (images attached for reference). The Carrera impedance is around 15 ohms at 20KHz, and the Troels design is possibly around 18 ohms at 20 KHz.

Having a higher impedance throughout most of the mid and upper ranges - would it have any impact on the type of amplifier used?

Attachments

• Carrera impedance and phase.jpg
    Carrera impedance and phase.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Troels -  SEAS W15CY001_ HIQUPHON OW1.jpg
    Troels - SEAS W15CY001_ HIQUPHON OW1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 94
The Carrera impedance curve, shows a relatively higher impedance in the 1KHz and beyond region (images attached for reference). The Carrera impedance is around 15 ohms at 20KHz, and the Troels design is possibly around 18 ohms at 20 KHz.

Having a higher impedance throughout most of the mid and upper ranges - would it have any impact on the type of amplifier used?

You could put a 75uF cap and 5R6 resistor across the connection terminals. It will flatten the impedance and phase curve.

Impedance will be around 4 ohm across the freq range.
I assume tube amps can benefit from it.