Passive crossover (in)efficency?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I run a small bia-amped sound rig. I could have bought Bass speakers and Mid/high two-ways. However, in order to make it flexible I have big and little two-ways. For small shows I can leave one set at home. I actively crossover well below the "bass speaker's passive crossover.

That crossover is real simple, consisting of a cap, res and coil. The high freqs go to a Piezo. How much is that crossover costing me? I was thinking of fitting a bypass switch.

Pbassred said:
I run a small bia-amped sound rig. I could have bought Bass speakers and Mid/high two-ways. However, in order to make it flexible I have big and little two-ways. For small shows I can leave one set at home. I actively crossover well below the "bass speaker's passive crossover.

That crossover is real simple, consisting of a cap, res and coil. The high freqs go to a Piezo. How much is that crossover costing me? I was thinking of fitting a bypass switch.

If the cap, res, and coil are in series, and are in parallel with the driver (bridges the driver terminals), then it most probably is a zobel. If it's hooked up differently then it depends on how they're hooked up and the value of the inductor and resistor.

From what I read; the Zobel flattens the impeadance curve by dumping power ( still dont know how much). The reason is to make the crossover even.

However since I have already done the crossover work before the amp, I don't need it. Loosing power is bad at 300W. I would need heavyer amps and make too much heat. Even 2db is poor. I think in this case a crossover on/off switch will be a good thing.

Pbassred said:
From what I read; the Zobel flattens the impeadance curve by dumping power ( still dont know how much). The reason is to make the crossover even.

However since I have already done the crossover work before the amp, I don't need it. Loosing power is bad at 300W. I would need heavyer amps and make too much heat. Even 2db is poor. I think in this case a crossover on/off switch will be a good thing.

The zobel is supposed to equalize the impedance so that the amp see constanct load. Having it there really does not effect the overall effeciency, but helps in letting the amp perform better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.