Passive Crossover For my First WAW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have done PLL with complex shaping. I'd have no problem suggesting you could use any of the mentioned methods to achieve a given result. Of course a DIYer tends to be blind to the amount of effort needed sometimes.. the methods needed for each are quite different.

How do I take care of the baffle step loss in a PLL XO? If I go in PLL route one suggestion I got in the past just to increase the amp volume pot for woofer. Later I thought that a hump is created due to baffle loss in the woofer response which will be difficult to take care of by merely increasing the volume pot for woofer.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PLLXO will not cover efficiently for baffle step loss and diffraction and I think passive crossover will do that better.

Baffle step is the only diffraction problem that can be tweaked in the XO.

Why won’t a PPLLXO do BSC? You just have to carefully place the XO point such that the gain control on thr bass amp becomes a varuabke BSC dial.

I have executed a nmber of designs where this works well.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Off the top of my head I'm thinking two capacitors and two resistors, two parallel in series, and two series in parallel.

A simple PLLXO has 1 R and 2 Cs per channel, small ones. As suggested above BSC just has to take care with design. If the bass amp (it is usually the one needs turning down) does not have a gain control one will somehow have to be added (i added a 100kΩ pot to the iput of my bass amp).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Low Pass:

pll_1st_lp_xo.gif

High Pass (the R2 is the Rinput):

hipass.gif

General guidlines: XO point somewhere between root(2)/2 and 1 times BS(-3), approx 4560/(baffle width in inches). Driver centre-to-centre is less than a quarter wavelength. I have found that XOs in the lower part of the ranege works best in the examples we have built.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.