Passive crossover design - LTSpice

crossover_29_03_2024.png

This is a crossover design that I have made for a DIY 2 way speaker cabinet (one midwoofer and a horn loaded tweeter). Admittedly I don't know too much about the designs of crossovers so the SPL response may not look the best but I'm happy enough with it as it is my first speaker design! I'm going to be simulating the design in LTspice to see how it runs but I'm not very familiar with the software so I wanted to see if anyone who has used the software before and had any handy tips. I'm going to be running the speakers with a T amp e 800 which is rated up to 8ohm, but I can see spikes on the impedance graph that go above this, is this a bad idea and will it overload my amp? Or are spikes like this common place in all designs? Any help is greatly appreciated

These impedance peaks are perfectly normal and won't do any harm. If you had impedance troughs far below 6 ohm, those might cause trouble.

For questions about LTSpice, you have a better chance of getting replies when you report your own post to get the attention of the moderators and ask them to move the thread to the "Software tools" subforum. In LTSpice you would probably have to make your own model for the loudspeakers and cabinet, that is, simulating loudspeakers in LTSpice is less straightforward than in what you are using now.

Last edited:
These impedance peaks are perfectly normal and won't do any harm. If you had impedance troughs far below 6 ohm, those might cause trouble.

For questions about LTSpice, you have a better chance of getting replies when you report your own post to get the attention of the moderators and ask them to move the thread to the "Software tools" subforum. In LTSpice you would probably have to make your own model for the loudspeakers and cabinet, that is, simulating loudspeakers in LTSpice is less straightforward than in what you are using now.
Ah okay I might do that, although now I've found a schematic for a crossover made by celestion themselves for the speakers I'm going to be using so simulations in LTSpice may not be required as the solution is already tried and tested

Whatever you entered in vituxcad makes no sense. Even more crazy to even consider LTspice for speaker building.
The best advice one can give you: Get a book about speaker construction and stay away from building a real one until you understand your mistakes.
If you need to build something physical, get a well documented kit and build it as described. Don't get creative, just stick ro the plan.

You amp doesn't care about any impedance peaks as long as you stay over 2 Ohms. This is no problem at all.

Whatever you entered in vituxcad makes no sense. Even more crazy to even consider LTspice for speaker building.
The best advice one can give you: Get a book about speaker construction and stay away from building a real one until you understand your mistakes.
If you need to build something physical, get a well documented kit and build it as described. Don't get creative, just stick ro the plan.

You amp doesn't care about any impedance peaks as long as you stay over 2 Ohms. This is no problem at all.
Some good advice, all of my progress (if you can call it that) on vituixCAD so far ha been based of youtube videos and a lot of guess work as to what would work best. Have you got any recommendations of books that would be a good place to start? Most likely something like a dummies guide to speaker building would be good as I'm starting from no experience in the field. I've now swapped over to using a plan made by celestion which is purpose made and I will be sticking to for sure! I do want to have more freedom to design my own cabinets in the future though so any knowledge I can gain I would definitely leap at getting!

Sorry, I can't recommend any books. I started speaker building decades ago, before the internet was invented. You probably can't imagine what it was like in the dark ages of information. I used public libray's, as good books where expensive or not aviable any more. Since then I have learned so much I'm still amused of all the things I have done wrong over the years... even when others called me an expert at that time.
I hope someone from an English speaking country will give you some advice. I think this could help:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...uy-on-speaker-design-and-construction.182366/

Speaker building taken serious is quite a lot of different skills, only the wood working and finishing of cabinets are two professions. Just for a start.

Designing speaker from scratch has become simpler, because of the many tools you can use today. Anyway, to build something really good still needs years of experience IMO. Best is to start with a good kit, then dig deeper, to understand the many why and how decissions that made it sound well. Learn about simulations, then start to practice measuring...
If you got specific questions, this forum is the place to go, just don't expect someone to write down 100 years of speaker development only for you.

Sorry, I can't recommend any books. I started speaker building decades ago, before the internet was invented. You probably can't imagine what it was like in the dark ages of information. I used public libray's, as good books where expensive or not aviable any more. Since then I have learned so much I'm still amused of all the things I have done wrong over the years... even when others called me an expert at that time.
I hope someone from an English speaking country will give you some advice. I think this could help:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...uy-on-speaker-design-and-construction.182366/

Speaker building taken serious is quite a lot of different skills, only the wood working and finishing of cabinets are two professions. Just for a start.

Designing speaker from scratch has become simpler, because of the many tools you can use today. Anyway, to build something really good still needs years of experience IMO. Best is to start with a good kit, then dig deeper, to understand the many why and how decissions that made it sound well. Learn about simulations, then start to practice measuring...
If you got specific questions, this forum is the place to go, just don't expect someone to write down 100 years of speaker development only for you.
Thank you! I'll have a look at that thread and see what I can find.

That is what initially drew me to doing this, the multitude of different disciplines that need mastering to get the desired output and being able to create something that you can definitely say is your own "sound" just seemed really cool.

Yeah I think I will be sticking to ready-made plans for the foreseeable future until I have some more knowledge to back up my ambition to build speakers. I should be getting pannels cut for my build in the next week or so, which will really start my journey in mastering my skills!