PASS LABS bad service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the chip in the Chip-and-Dip. They burn.
In the photo left the original fuse. Right in the photo of the Chip-and-Dip.

Attachments

• IMG_4000.JPG
    IMG_4000.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_3999.JPG
    IMG_3999.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 810
Seems reasonable under the circumstances to send a PM here to Nelson Pass or to email him.

There may indeed be a problem in the amp... unclear to me from the discussion if these are power supply fuses (B+/B- rails) or if they are line (AC mains) fuses? IF they are the B+/B- fuses, AND they blow on ONE channel, then it is likely there is a fault or broken channel. If it is the mains fuse then IF it is the proper value and still blows then OPEN (remove) ALL of the B+/B- fuses and try again. IF they still blow then you have to look at the power supply for a fault, either a shorted wire (come apart in transportation) or else a fault in the rectifiers or more likely a shorted or very leaky power supply cap.

In the event that you can not find a SLOW 2.5amp fuse, it is possible to substitute a "FAST" fuse of somewhat higher amperage rating. You lose some protection, but not much. I would use a 4amp or 5 amp "fast" fuse as a substitute - at least for TESTING.

It is a good idea to go with the recommended fuses after you find out if the amp works, and you just had the wrong fuse, or that the amp has a fault and is broken.

_-_-bear

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Maikl5, there is a forum vegalab.ru/forum/index.php (in case you do not know) it is a russian analog of diyaudio. There is a forum there dedicated to repairing of commercial devices. There is no Mr. Pass there, but it is in russian, and there are many many good experts there, so they can help you. In case you do not need a direct help from Pass Labs, of cause.

Last edited:
Seems reasonable under the circumstances to send a PM here to Nelson Pass or to email him.

There may indeed be a problem in the amp... unclear to me from the discussion if these are power supply fuses (B+/B- rails) or if they are line (AC mains) fuses? IF they are the B+/B- fuses, AND they blow on ONE channel, then it is likely there is a fault or broken channel. If it is the mains fuse then IF it is the proper value and still blows then OPEN (remove) ALL of the B+/B- fuses and try again. IF they still blow then you have to look at the power supply for a fault, either a shorted wire (come apart in transportation) or else a fault in the rectifiers or more likely a shorted or very leaky power supply cap.

In the event that you can not find a SLOW 2.5amp fuse, it is possible to substitute a "FAST" fuse of somewhat higher amperage rating. You lose some protection, but not much. I would use a 4amp or 5 amp "fast" fuse as a substitute - at least for TESTING.

It is a good idea to go with the recommended fuses after you find out if the amp works, and you just had the wrong fuse, or that the amp has a fault and is broken.

_-_-bear

I put a quick fuse with a higher amperage.
The amplifier works fine.
I want to have power protection, so I'm looking for the original fuse.
Thank you.

My x150 is listed as a 2.5a slo @240 vac.
Some **** stuck an 8 amp in it before i bought the amp.
I replaced the fuse with a 2.5a slo 'littlefuse' from element 14 (farnells).

My advise.
Get a 2.5a slo from rs or farnells and be happy its the right rating and style.
the damaged front, try and contact pass labs (or Mr Pass) explain the drama and problems your having in getting a replacement and see if he/they cant help...

My x150 is listed as a 2.5a slo @240 vac.
Some **** stuck an 8 amp in it before i bought the amp.
I replaced the fuse with a 2.5a slo 'littlefuse' from element 14 (farnells).

My advise.
Get a 2.5a slo from rs or farnells and be happy its the right rating and style.
the damaged front, try and contact pass labs (or Mr Pass) explain the drama and problems your having in getting a replacement and see if he/they cant help...

I sent a letter to Pass Labs with my problem. They sent me to a dealer in Russia (ultima.su). The dealer said that he would not serve my amp, because I bought it in another country (Ukraine). I sent a letter to the dealer in Ukraine (Luxtone Inc.), there was no answer. I can `t solve it for two months.: (
I very much hope that Mr Pass will help solve this problem.

It would help if you sent a photograph of the front panel (and also the back panel with a clear well focused detail of the information there including the serial number. On the assumption that all you say is correct I am sure that Mr Pass will help you. Without FULL information, including serial number and if possible receipt for apyment along with pictures of the amp I would ignore your requests.....[Mr Pass - and other makers - have had a lot of trouble with people attempting to make direct copies of their work and then selling them as 'the real thing'!]

Were the dealers you tried to get help from properly authorized (by Pass) as dealers? Or are they 'secondary' dealers?

Regarding the fuse - DO check that the recommendations given in other posts apply to your available electricity voltage. This should be clear in the handbook that came with the amp. Stick with the Pass recommendation for your voltage and simply buy the same rated value of slo-blo fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.