Pass amps for my tannoy monitor golds?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I recently built a couple of 300 lt trapezoidal cabinets (with 4 ports of 100mm diameter, 250mm long ) for my 15" tannoy monitor golds.You can see few pictures here:
ImageShack Album - 3 images
The speakers should have this frequency response graph (the second one):
Tannoy Monitor Gold Cabinets

I am trying to find the best matching amps... I have a good friend that own an aleph P and two aleph 60, and I am really impressed (but i never listen to them paired with tannoy monitor golds).
The speakers should be around 95 db sensitivity, so i don't need too much power. I mostly listen to jazz and blues.
Would you go for an aleph p + aleph 60 or would you suggest something else?

kind regards
Simone

Well, they are at least quite different.
Aleph 60 - Single ended circuit with aleph current source.
XA 60.5 - Balanced, super-symetric circuit, push-pull output stage with added current source in parrallel.

I suspect the XA60.5 are better at driving difficult loads (ie most speakers).
However if you have efficient speakers the Aleph circuit may be more appealing.

The F5 is very easy to build and is highly regarded.

Take your pick.

However if you want an XA60.5, you will have to buy one, or take a guess on how to build it, as the circuit has not been released.

A5 & Aleph P

The Aleph 5 was a great piece.... they never break. In 10 years I think I've seen one in for service.... likely it's still making "cool tunes and hot rooms"

When they were "new product" sonically they were at the top of their game. Nelsons circuits have gotten better and frankly components have gotten better; that said, in their day the A5 was sonic magic.

Aleph P, same deal; I just had one on the test bench and it's performance metrics are still quite nice.

J2, that's Nelson's call..... I am sure he would be happy to weigh in and discuss the merits of both pieces.

Cheers
Cyclotronguy

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if you have source with enough output , just decent buffer

say - cascoded JC/Borbely?whoeverwasfirst ...... in other words - complementary Jfet buffer

if you need little more gain from preamp itself ( remember that J2 need around 1V5 for full throttle ) say that UGS based preamp will be fine

or JFet BOSOZ ...... or :Pumpkin: ....... or .......

what parts you have in drawer ?

if you have source with enough output , just decent buffer

say - cascoded JC/Borbely?whoeverwasfirst ...... in other words - complementary Jfet buffer

if you need little more gain from preamp itself ( remember that J2 need around 1V5 for full throttle ) say that UGS based preamp will be fine

or JFet BOSOZ ...... or :Pumpkin: ....... or .......

what parts you have in drawer ?

Hi,
at the present time I have a philips 963sa but i am considering an upgrade.
I am not able to build myself anything :D... so would you suggest something that I can buy and not build?
best
Simone

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.