pass 2.0 preamp any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Why don’t you ask permission from Nelson to make a PCB and make it yourself? He’ll say yes. You could make a group buy here for other interested builders.

There are people/places who never asked and just decided to start selling on eBay... and Jim’s Audio would be in that group.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Jim's audio is what it is. Main problem here is that we deal with Mr Pass, who has been kind enough to share all of this with us. Others try to make a living copying his stuff. Lots of people here do this to, when group buys for boards or kits arise, but with permission secured from Mr Pass. Jim's audio did not.

The other problem besides lack of permission, is using the name "Pass" in his description. I dont know how similar this circuit is to one of his, but that name is in there likely to get search hits.

"Pass" has now been used to get hits as well as getting its coat tails ridden about Quality. "Good Will" is as much intellectual property as the circuit, and that appears to me to step on Mr Pass and his business, which profits from said good will. Many years of work and money were spent generating that good will.

When a business is sold to new owners, that Good Will is considered in the price as a definite thing of value, particularly if the same name is being kept.

Plus, Mr Pass could just say enough is enough and keep it to himself. So, those here are vigilant to not offend by such promotion. Out of nothing more than respect, those here will adhere to that rule. (and out of greediness of course, we all want more!).

Welcome to the Pass forum, there are lots of front ends available here that are stupendous so why not build them? If you want to build a Jim's Audio board, or whoever's, its your choice...this is Diy and all, you just might not get help here...both out of respect for Mr Pass, but also lack of familiarity of layout, board errors if any, parts used, etc. so that "help" might not be helpful. I dont know if anyone here has or has listened to Jim's "Pass 2.0" board, so there is that reason as well...not so for BA3 FE, Wayne's 2018 BA linestage, etc which many here have built and listened to.

Hope this helps explain the reaction here, sounds like you came into this innocently and were inquiring about sound quality, many others have too. Obviously you were not sneaking around, or purposely doing anything inappropriate.

Russellc

When you are comparing the B1, the P1.7 and the BA, the difference is purely subjective as they are all brilliant designs that sound very good.

I have been using a B1 for many years, it is a completely neutral buffer amplifier.

I only decided to change to the P1.7 in order to get a bit of gain and use my Aleph 4 in balanced mode.

The Aleph 4 in unbalanced mode was only producing about 50W, the balanced mode allows it to provide its full 100W capability. 50W - 100W is only small amount of discernible loudness but it does increase the dynamic range considerably.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
BA2018 has gain of about 3.8, or a kiss shy of 12db.

I think it sounds absolutely amazing and have one on my desk at the moment, and am going to build one for the main system as well as a dedicated preamp section for my modular bench setup. Truly amazed and happy with the circuit. :yes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.