Parts Storage, Organization and Labeling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope that workbench organization is not too far OT.

I don’t think so, but it’s more taste, needs and cost dependent.

For me, the more I can keep the peripheral stuff organized and easily fileable/ selectable the more I can keep my workbench clean and tidy.

Like you, i want accessibility without clutter / a wall full of test equipment that hasn’t been used in 5 years.

I’m trying to stay with Ikea as it’s worldwide and is inexpensive, so we can approach a solution useful to the most people.

There’s plenty of “hacks” out there for custom workstations based on ikea series:

IKEA Hack: Practical Workbench: 11 Steps (with Pictures)

Garage Workbench DIY {How We Ikea Hacked Garage Storage}

This depends more on your personal style, room layout etc. than the parts storage.

I like having adjustable height benches, however that limits the weight it can sustain comfortably so keep that in mind. I usually keep what I need either in side drawers, elevated on floating shelving or on wheels.

This has the added bonus of eliminating clutter.

SKARSTA Desk sit/stand, white - 63x31 1/2 " - IKEA

On that subject but not ikea I noticed Costco has a killer electronic adjustable height desk for a great price right now. I’ve seen them in person and they are very well made. It’s also less expensive in-store.

It’s not very large, but two side by side would make a knockout solution if it’s within your budget.

Tresanti Adjustable Height Desk

Last edited:
Hello,

I like the look of the L bench. No 2x4’s and plywood this time. I am leaning toward a bench height I can stand at and reach across or sort of sit on a stool. For years I was a consulting engineer, some days I was in the office. I used a drafting table, with the legs raised up off the floor on a 4X4, to stand at and sort of sit on a stool. My computer was on a standard desk with a standard height chair. My back liked standing better than sitting. It was up and down most of the day. Recently I purchased a Steelcase Leap stool, without arms, for cheap at the used office furniture store.

Who knows there may even be some art on the walls. (No more vendor calendars.)

Steelcase Leap Stool | Office Designs

DT

My parts storage a bit late as out of the shop.

Attachments

• DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    947.5 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 198
Very nice. Ed I believe? I really enjoy the short and wide sliding shelving. Makes rifling for what you need much more satisfying.

Unfortunately it seems like there’s only two options: very expensive commercial options or making them yourself.

The ikea Alex could be made in a similar fashion with divider inserts commonly used for cutlery.

ALEX Drawer unit on casters, white - 26 3/8x26 " - IKEA

Amazon.com: mDesign Kitchen Plastic Drawer Organizers for Flatware, Cutlery, Utensils, Silverware, Spatulas, Gadgets - Pack of 6, 3" x 9" x 2", Clear: Kitchen & Dining

Something along these lines could also work:

Amazon.com: Practical Comfort Adjustable Drawer Organizer | 9 Drawer Dividers (3 Long + 6 Short), Medium 17.5" - 19.7" deep | Customizable, Elegant Aluminum, for Clutter Free Kitchen, Junk Drawer, Office, Clinic: Kitchen & Dining

Hard finding those with a height under 2 1/4”

For anyone considering this: Interior height of drawers for the wide Alex: 2 1/4" and 2 3/4" . Also 23 1/2"w x 16 1/2"d on the inside.

I find the standard plastic bins a huge waste of space unless you stack them vertically and bolt them to the wall. While this may be effective I feel it’s a huge aesthetic compromise for the diyer in the home who is not an EE and doesn’t have a dedicated space for that.

Today I tried 5x5” square poly bags in the Ikea Sockerbit series. They fit perfectly as well as allow the box to close easily. With some 5x5 card inserts inside to keep them upright it might be quite a viable compromise / solution.

Last edited:
Some progress from my best shot at a low cost / high versatility / worldwide replicable storage solution.

Sockerbit + ULINE 5x5” poly bags and 5x5 printed cardstock inserts.

The Sockerbit containers also have lids which close easily over the bags for stacking.

I have the cheaper 2 mil bags presently but I am waiting on 4 and 6 mil samples that will hopefully be an improvement in stiffness.

The thicker the cardstock (or using two sheets) the better to have the bags keep their shape.

In one container you could easily fit 3,000+ RN60, each bag can comfortably fit about 100 RN60.

The previously mentioned Coin envelope method would be excellent for loose resistors and some general small parts and I’ve used that to great effect as well, but I wanted to make something that was scalable and could also be used to organize by project (fit PCBs and larger parts). I also wanted it to be legible, easy to sort quickly through and user-friendly.

The Sockerbit container on the right has a lip would be excellent to store a variety of different parts presently in use, and then the extras can be returned to their covered containers when a project is complete. It is quite similar to the type I’ve seen sold by Akro Mills.

The Sockerbit basket container is $2.99USD each and the box with lid $4.99ea.

A box of 1,000 poly bags $35-60 depending on thickness and source.

A box of card stock - $20

The feeling of order? Priceless.

IMG_7172.JPG

Enzo,great idea using coin envelopes:) I picked up a pack of 250 #3 Kraft paper envelopes,then grabbed a bunch of index card boxes at the dollar store.They are available in all the colours needed for the different multipliers,so that is what gets stored in each box.What a great way to store large quantities of resistors!

...my best shot at...worldwide replicable

I also use the poly envelopes for the space efficiency.
Have you considered to hold them in the stainless pans restaurants use?
They are modular, available in a variety of depths, available world wide.
I use them for parts trays in the workshop.
They are nice for mechanical parts, easy to clean, resistant to cleaners, solvents, oil and water.
I even use some in the kitchen too, just not the same ones...
They are not actually cheap, but reasonably priced, and the stainless looks a bit serious.

pan-combos.jpg

Best wishes
David

Last edited:
re: grounding & antistatic effects, wouldn't something conductive be preferable?
or maybe it's not as much of a concern for audio-frequency components.
my introduction to electronics was at an RF/MW components manufacturer,
there it was always a concern, interested in hearing anyone's thoughts.

Enzo,great idea using coin envelopes:) I picked up a pack of 250 #3 Kraft paper envelopes,then grabbed a bunch of index card boxes at the dollar store.They are available in all the colours needed for the different multipliers,so that is what gets stored in each box.What a great way to store large quantities of resistors!

I found a pic of the model of box I'm using for the envelopes:

Attachments

• colorful-index-card-storage-boxes~13697945.jpg
    colorful-index-card-storage-boxes~13697945.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 202
I use Pencil Cases from Staples Canada, mark them on the top and each end with a Labelmaker. I can't find the exact model I buy (they're made in Canada) at any US site (including Staples dotcom) but they are similar to the ones linked below, although a little nicer latch and hinges. Opaque coloured top and clear bottom.

For projects I mark them by project rather than by part type. Makes for quick gathering of components and those misc parts (the right screws and washers, etc) you inevitably will need.

They are $C 3 ($US 2.30) each in the 13.5" (L) x 5" (W) x 3.5" (Tall) size, and are shaped on top and bottom so they interlock lightly for stacking. For a while I was buying $20 worth every month, which gave me some time to organize what I wanted to put in them. A nice intermediate between small parts storage (bins) and large (boxes, milk crates, etc).

Amazon.com : Emraw School Pencil Box - Multipurpose Ruler Length Utility Box, Pencil Box for Girls and Boys Pencils Box to Store pens and Pencils, Durable Plastic Box & Plastic Pencil Holder (4-Pack) : Office Products

Last edited:
An update for my own use case:

The U-Line 5x5” 6mil resealable is a perfect marriage for me of high storage volume, easy “leafing”, aren’t floppy like most bags of this size and fit the Ikea Sockerbitt like a glove.

$92 for 1,000 bags.

Only downside is they do not come in antistatic at this size.

I’ll have to use a different container and bag size for ESD sensitive devices.

Hello,

Lots of good ideas here.

We are in the process of moving to a new place in a little Northern California town a couple of miles from the beach. I get a space large enough for work benches and listening. This is the bench that is loaded in the back of my truck ready to go.

ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies

Hopefully storage and book shelves will be neater than they are now. There is a plan forming.

Thanks DT

I remembered this thread from a ways back.

I took an old bass cab and pulled the front panel out, bought 16 pairs of drawer slides from rockler. I so far have made 7 drawers. The first cab I'm leaving the wheels on. The second I will pull the wheels and stack on the first.

The best part is I am making bins by 3D printing. I sized a unit bin as roughly 62 by 65 mm, so 7 across by 6 deep and 50mm tall.
Also printed 2 by 1 bins and a half height 2 by 2 bin with 12 small sections, and they stack properly. Great for all my 3 mm hardware.
Will attach pics when I get my laptop back.

If anyone wants the STL files or the scad file, let me know.

The good thing is, I have been gaining space as I populate this organizer.
The bad thing is, I have been gaining space as I populate this organizer.

Amazon keeps sending emails saying I might like "this thing". Whoever wrote that infernal trend software....man, they are good. I never knew there were brass threaded insert thingies designed for thermal embedment into 3D printed parts...sigh.

Jn

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.