• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Parts Rolling in SSE

I am building a second SSE that I can use to test whether or not I can hear the difference between various components -- mostly the coupling caps and cathode resistors. I seem to recall one of George's test rigs having a screw-in holder soldered into the pcb in place the cathode resistor to make swapping quick and easy -- any idea what that part is called? Havent been able to figure it out on Mouser or Digikey.

Alternatively I thought I might put in a 5 position switch to be able to quickly flip between different coupling capacitors since I am not sure I could remember the subtle differences if i had to shutdown and swap parts. I am a little worried about leaving multiple charged capacitors disconnected from the circuit though.

Thanks for any help.

Given the subtle differences between coupling caps, I'd seriously question the utility of such a function. However, if I were to do it I can see two ways.

One would be to leave one side of the caps in the circuit and switch the other side. It would be unwise to throw such a switch while the amp was on. A 250VAC rated switch would probably be able to handle the momentary high voltage, since there is no sustained current involved.

A more elaborate way would be to completely switch out the caps and keep them precharged when not in use. This would make hot switching possible.

Probably not worth it. :)