paper coverd ecaps for series use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello all have some amps here that use 2 capacitors in series they are rated at 100uf at 300v. Been having a hard time finding replacements.
The amps I have are heathkit aa-81 mono blocks and they have the old astron
paper covered power supply cans in them. There isnt much room under the chassis and I wanna keep the stock look as much as possible. I figure ebay would have what I'm looking for but no luck. Any help would be killer.

are you sure they are in series and not in paralell?? poeple usually put caps in series for 2 reasons, They need to half the capacitance or Double the Voltage rateing or they are trying to make a Non Polar cap....

2 caps of the same Value in series will halve (1/2) the capacitance but double the voltage rateing ,you can also make a Non-Polar cap by putting 2 caps in series....

Poeple usually put 2 caps in paralell to increase the capacitance and to Lower the ESR ,This is a More common Practice.....

You shouldn"t have problems finding 300v caps...even my Local super crappy electronics store has 300v caps.....

ya there in series this amp uses el34's and 5a4r rectifier so I need 2 at 100uf to make 50uf. I would just like to know if they make new replacements for whats in there now. They are the paper covered types. Im prolly gonna end up hollowing the old ones out and puttin new ones in there since the new caps are way smaller just wanted to save some time and a big mess....

Thought as much.. used to create high voltage cap for a tube amp...

As someone said before it "doubles" the voltage and averages the capacitance.....

I use "" because the caps my be 20% higher or lower rated and adding 1 and 1 does not always equal 2 here...
SO theoreticaly depending on the quality/age of the caps
they may only be good for 240 + 240 volts...

I would however wager they were used as a 50uf 600V cap.

You will find 350V more common and probably safer to replace those with.

I think the modern equivalents wil be much smaller, so you can maybe remove the contents of the defective old caps, and build the new ones into the old cans.. the way they do with fake capacitors...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.