Papa, Watt's next?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally the Visitors minus photographer behind the camera.

Attachments

• group.jpg
    group.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,464
AR2 said:
Lowters, just in case if we didn't like Feastrex, which I assure you was not the case. Feastrex were revelation I have to say. What a speakers! But what amp we listen to! F2 jFet is the amp of the amps. It is the father of all amps. It is the king of all the amps!

I suspected this, from the wrong side of the big blue:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1894465#post1894465

Originally posted by AR2 If I had to walk to Nelson's place instead to drive, which is precisely 136 miles, just to hear those amps, I would do it. [/B]

Now this makes me wanna swim across the big blue... :bawling:

In retrospect, or as a summary:

We listened to new F2jFet-jFet, F3, F5, new M1 with line transformer voltage gain on Festrex and Lowter on the top and Eminence 15" Beta on the bottom. Analog Pass custom crossover, PAss lab DAC, Pass lab preamp, Pass Lab phono stage.
I do not know if I was clear enough about my opinion on new jFet F2? :clown:

First on the Feastrex. I was never too excited on the full rangers and I believe with the reason. In this combination with 15" for the lowest octaves (bellow 80Hz) it sounded awasome. I am talking about the small Feastrex. I still believe that we changed something in the levels so that smaller Feastrex sounded little bit fuller than the big ones, but we all concluded that we loved the sound coming out of those drivers. They do not need tweeter - period. Their top end is the closest thing I ever heard to RAALs ribbon, which is the best top end I have ever heard.
F5 was feeding all the time Eminences and we exchanged the top amps.
Again in my mind the best sound to me came from new F2jFet. F3 was pure tube sound. I would say F3 in my mind gave the best mid range performance. Amazingly the closest competitor to new F2 was F5 on the top. We listened F5 on the bottom and on the top and we all loved that sound.
The closest resemblance of the sound coming out of the new F2jFet is Aleph sound. That well defined top end that really no other amp could match, and what you would express not in KHz, but in MHz is something that best explains it. I would say the top end with the soul. That is what my ear trained on Aleph would compare F2jFet to.
We listened to analog turntable and digital Wadia transport through the Pass Lab DAC. Please do not start discussion on this subject please, but they both sounded very, very good. The sound that is still reverberating in my mind is the recording of train and rain and thunder played from turntable. Talking about the lifelike sound is just that.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Many thanks for the great pictures, Vladimir. You managed to make
it look more organized and glamorous than it is.

It was a great pleasure to have you all, and I hope that you had as
much fun as I did. We really will have to get together again.

One possible source of confusion - the amplifiers we played with
were F2 (power Jfet version), F3, F5, M2 and J2.

The M2 and J2 are new and not previously announced, M2 using
power Mosfets, and J2 using power JFETs. They are quite different
from previous products.

Recalling your comments late in the day, I believe you were referring
to the J2, which was not the same as the F2 with power Jfets.

I like the F2 w/ jfets as well, though, and I plan to release that as a
run of 10 pieces, offer an update to current F2 owners, and publish a
short article on it.

:cool:

Ah, a Poster of "Quiet Earth". (Post 37) I like that Nightgown-Shotgun-Jesus-Scene! :worship:

But to be more on topic: I hope, if these M2 and J2 amps are as half as good as the early praise, that 6moons does not deny the blue moon award again. I'm talking about the F5. Mr. Ebaen seems to be a really nice person and his review was excellent as always, but IMHO this denial was a mistake.

These are exciting times! The search for the Grail continues... :)

Nelson Pass said:
Many thanks for the great pictures, Vladimir. You managed to make
it look more organized and glamorous than it is.

It was a great pleasure to have you all, and I hope that you had as
much fun as I did. We really will have to get together again.

One possible source of confusion - the amplifiers we played with
were F2 (power Jfet version), F3, F5, M2 and J2.

The M2 and J2 are new and not previously announced, M2 using
power Mosfets, and J2 using power JFETs. They are quite different
from previous products.

Recalling your comments late in the day, I believe you were referring
to the J2, which was not the same as the F2 with power Jfets.

I like the F2 w/ jfets as well, though, and I plan to release that as a
run of 10 pieces, offer an update to current F2 owners, and publish a
short article on it.

:cool:

Thank you Mr. Pass,
I am glad you like the pics. Sorry for the mix up. I think you are right. That was the first amp you played when we arrived.

Thank you very much Mr. Pass.
I must agree with AR2 that the J2 was the best sounding of the lot along with the feastrex drivers it was amazing.
I know I will not be getting any of those any time soon but I also enjoyed the eminence betas and will look into getting a pair.
All of the activity around this subject has made me even more eager to finish up my amps and get listening.

Re: For AR2/Vladimir

Srajan Ebaen said:
Nelson is sending me one of the new amps for review on 6moons shortly. Could I have permission to use the photos you posted here in that review - full credit to you of course and DIYAudio? It would make a great "behind the scenes" adjunct -:)

Thanks in advance if yes, and no problem if no -.)

Certainly, you are more than welcome to use any / all of the pictures as long as Mr. Pass is OK with it. (if the quality, style... fits his marketing / branding goals) Only, I would suggest to send you little bit higher res, or full high res, since these shots needed to be very compressed, due to the DIYAudio limitation. Just let me know on what email address or FTP you want them and I will promptly send you the less compressed version.
Credit to DIY Audio would be greatly appreciated.

Vladimir

Gracias

You're a prince, Vladimir.

srajan@6moons.com

If these are monster files, one per e-mail perhaps to prevent the server from throwing a fit. Otherwise, all in one would be swell -:)

I'm web-based so I end up with middling resolution again to not load down user servers. But if you send something, say 1500 to 2000 pixels across, that would be awesome.

Thank you very much.

What should the photo credit read besides "Vladimir, DIYAudio member since 2002"?

Re: Gracias

Srajan Ebaen said:
You're a prince, Vladimir.

srajan@6moons.com

If these are monster files, one per e-mail perhaps to prevent the server from throwing a fit. Otherwise, all in one would be swell -:)

I'm web-based so I end up with middling resolution again to not load down user servers. But if you send something, say 1500 to 2000 pixels across, that would be awesome.

Thank you very much.

What should the photo credit read besides "Vladimir, DIYAudio member since 2002"?

Ha, I have never been called prince... just Count Vladimir.

:vampire:

I will send you files at that size and convert them to sRGB for the web viewing. There will be few zipped files in a few emails.
Credit www.DIYAudio.com will be quite sufficient.

Stay well

Vladimir

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.