Panasonic Su series capacitor

Is Panasonic Su series capacitor good for audio applications?
Screenshot_20221003_184221_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

This is a forum filled with a lot of engineers who look at things strictly from a circuit design, specification and measurement standpoint. The notion of 'good for audio' is not going to register because as long as the capacitor meets the requirements of the circuit and is from a reasonably reputable manufacturer, then it is 'good for audio' or 'good for a microwave' or 'good for a television' or whatever other circuit it is a part of. This will be the response you will most likely receive, and it will be valid.

What you most likely will not receive is a type of response along the lines of "Panasonic is good, but you might want to consider Elna Silmic IIs instead because they have a more 'open' sound."

You won't get this for a number of reasons:
  1. Saying that capacitors or any other component sharing identical specifications can 'sound different' from one another will earn you a rather vocal response from some people on this forum and it gets old.
  2. People who are beyond justifying themselves to these self proclaimed experts and enjoy the hobby know that any good response will be meaningless because everything is system dependent and 100% subjective.
  3. People who have tinkered long enough know that the only answer is 'it depends' because where you change things in a circuit matters.
So if your goal is simply to have a functioning piece of equipment, then Panasonic certainly doesn't have a bad reputation in regards to capacitors and you can swap like for like. If you want to know if the capacitor will 'sound good' then that is something only you can decide for yourself, in your own system and with your own ears.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
This is a forum filled with a lot of engineers who look at things strictly from a circuit design, specification and measurement standpoint. The notion of 'good for audio' is not going to register because as long as the capacitor meets the requirements of the circuit and is from a reasonably reputable manufacturer, then it is 'good for audio' or 'good for a microwave' or 'good for a television' or whatever other circuit it is a part of. This will be the response you will most likely receive, and it will be valid.

What you most likely will not receive is a type of response along the lines of "Panasonic is good, but you might want to consider Elna Silmic IIs instead because they have a more 'open' sound."

You won't get this for a number of reasons:
  1. Saying that capacitors or any other component sharing identical specifications can 'sound different' from one another will earn you a rather vocal response from some people on this forum and it gets old.
  2. People who are beyond justifying themselves to these self proclaimed experts and enjoy the hobby know that any good response will be meaningless because everything is system dependent and 100% subjective.
  3. People who have tinkered long enough know that the only answer is 'it depends' because where you change things in a circuit matters.
So if your goal is simply to have a functioning piece of equipment, then Panasonic certainly doesn't have a bad reputation in regards to capacitors and you can swap like for like. If you want to know if the capacitor will 'sound good' then that is something only you can decide for yourself, in your own system and with your own ears.
Agree, and the takeaway is simply: They will work as well as any other legitimate mainstream brand for audio and other uses. They will not sound different from an equivalent one from another brand and any perceived difference is on you. If it is a positive difference then go right ahead and change them out and enjoy.

Pro tip: Usually, the more the replacements cost the better the perceived increase in sound quality.

Hal

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
They were likely on E-bay because they were old. Last time buy in 2000. This type of capacitor can degrade if it sits unused for 20+ years. Not always, many times they are quite useable but you do take your chances. OEMs usually will NOT. I’ve bought plenty of old Panasonics and Nichicons surplus over the years and they have always worked. Even as old as 1979 - the only way I could get 470uF/50V axials. Still good as new. I’ve bought old Philips, CDE, and Illinois and had a mess of goo leaking out in the bin after a couple years and had to throw the entire lots out.

Even regular distributors will lower the price on old lots. I ran into 22000uF 50V Panasonics that were on the shelf for 6 years at Digikey, they marked them down accordingly, and I bought up a bunch. Nothin wrong with ‘em. Probably be 20 years before I use them all up, too. I do store all of my components at controlled temps - in the air conditioned portion of the shop rather than up in the rafters where it gets to be 110 or 120 in the summer.

Reactions: 1 user