Panasonic FC vs. Nichicon Gold for preamp power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Digikey shippingcost for small orders is a little less then Mouser (~half). But prices exclude local salestax I believe. They do stock 123 different Fine Golds and many others :) And I like their way of selecting search options far better then Mouser's, somehow Mouser doesn't show what I want to select on top, maybe they stored the way I searched befor and only offer those options???

Resetting search options on Mouser is done with a check box, and you must run the search again when you uncheck one. I have had no problems with Mouser, in fact I have been shopping there because I don't like Digikey's search and the fact that they don't have pictures for anything. If you know exactly what you need Digikey rocks though, they have a lot of hard to find parts.

You can check if a transformer is good just by plugging it in and checking the secondary voltages, the voltage will sag a bit with load, it's normal. In my experience they work or they don't, and the steel core is the valuable part. They can be rewound for different voltages but it takes patience, sometimes you will also have a working transformer but it will be noisy. Everyone says radiated noise is a mechanical issue but I have had some that hum even with bolts added through them and epoxy on them etc.

Last edited:
Mouser doesn't let me select Muse FG after Nichicon for instance to continue search, when looking for replacement caps they don't show all (size) dimension options etc etc. Farnell let you select multiple sizes or voltages etc options, that might be a little easier. Mouser search engine probably has some smart interface that only shows search options when they think you will need them :D

Mouser doesn't let me select Muse FG after Nichicon for instance to continue search, when looking for replacement caps they don't show all (size) dimension options etc etc. Farnell let you select multiple sizes or voltages etc options, that might be a little easier. Mouser search engine probably has some smart interface that only shows search options when they think you will need them :D

I have long suspected this. I have never liked not being able to search by dimensions either.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I would put another vote in for the Panasonic FM series.
Many times they are cheaper than the FC's and their specs are equal or better.
They have come to be my cap of choice, otherwise I will go with Nichicon FG if the value is not available in Panny FM.

Just to mention frequency extremes, for me highs FM are unacceptable, tried several sizes/values because I do really like low bass energy and detail better then any non Panasonic cap I compared so far.

Sound of Panasonic FM in poweramp decoupling is not close to Muse FG in my recent listening here.
Bass is powerfull detailed and tight compared to powerfull warm even little blurry. Cymbals is reduced level hardly any detail close to noise compared to not exceptional detailed and at normal level.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.