Panasonic FC vs Black Gate Standard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Absolutely no comparison. BG Std is easily better. Panasonic FC is only standart electrolytics capacitor, no better than many others. In fact I somewhat dissapointed when tried it - dull upper midrange leads to annyoningly "thin" high frequencies. Overall sound balance "weight" concentrated in lower midrage. And even midbass is not good enough.

Which cap in the cd player do you plan on upgrading? Coupling or PS? The only real way to know what is best for you is to try a selection of caps. What are the chances other people's tastes will be the same as yours?

I like BG and at lower voltages feel they represent very good value. At the same time they do have a specific sonic flavour which is not to everyone's liking. In some situations Elna Starget/Silmic may be more preferable in PS. As for coupling, BG-N are probably the best deal to be had in caps today - almost as good as the cheaper films, small and really dirt cheap.

I would like to use BG Standard or Rubycon ZL or Panasonic FC for the PS section of the player (to replace the existing Nippon Chemi-con AVF, ASF and W electrolytics) because of their nice price/uF/voltage ratio compared to the more expensive FK/N/NX series.

But I am still wondering which caps to choose...

I have already ordered NX-Hi-Qs for coupling.

reaction said:
I simply couldn't afford the Nx series - I have to replace 12 caps x ~$30-50 each... :bigeyes:

I don't think I will hear the $300 difference :rolleyes:

why not use Panasonic FCs or Nichicon Muse KZ for the large values, but all the caps right before the actual chips that consume power are usually small values and lower voltage. Those are the places where you should put the BGs. Most important are the caps around the clock. Hell, just replace the whole regulator there and put something decent in there. The $12 on the 100uF BG that feeds my clock was one of the biggest improvements in my system over the last 6 months and well worth the extra cost.

Peter

There is a 220uF/35V Nichicon Muse cap which feeds my clock just after a 5V regulator. My schematic originally indicates that this cap should be 35V!

Is it posible to replace it with bigger value and lower voltage one - 470uF/6.3V BG NX for example?

Can I bypass a big value BG NX cap with 0.1uF NX Hi-Q cap instead of a film one?

GSI said:
Absolutely no comparison. BG Std is easily better. Panasonic FC is only standart electrolytics capacitor, no better than many others. In fact I somewhat dissapointed when tried it - dull upper midrange leads to annyoningly "thin" high frequencies. Overall sound balance "weight" concentrated in lower midrage. And even midbass is not good enough.
Sounds like a poor choice of cap value and voltage. Properly done (and with some DC bias on the cap), an FC can and does sound as good as (and in some cases superior) to a BG Std. The FC is hardly a 'standard' electrolytic. Just because it doesn't cost a fortune doesn't mean it ain't no good.

pburke said:

...Most important are the caps around the clock. Hell, just replace the whole regulator there and put something decent in there. The $12 on the 100uF BG that feeds my clock was one of the biggest improvements in my system over the last 6 months and well worth the extra cost.

Peter

hey pburke, from your last posting are you talking about your 3950/60 mod? where did your place the 100uf bg n CXXX that feed the clock?
thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.