Panasonic 3 CD tray won't open SL-DH66

I have a Panasonic Stereo Audio System with Compact Disc Changer SL-DH66. It is circa 1995. It has worked like a champ until I moved it with 3 cds in the tray.

When I turned it on after the move, the tray would try to open, at least I heard the noise, but it seems obstructed.

From what i have been able to glean from videos, there may be an o-ring somewhere that slipped or broke. but i can't figure out how to access it. I have the unit apart and don't want to break it further. can't decide if access to this o-ring is under the 3 cd tray or from bottom of unit.

Maybe my theory is wrong. Looking to repair the open/close function of the cd tray.

The O ring is the drive belt.
All 3 CD players are famous for this problem.
The cure is a perfect leveling using a spirit level, and newspaper bits as shims to achieve this. Both side to side and front to back must be leveled..
Put a new belt.
Search for the service manual, it will give you more information.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Moving those CD players with CDs in them always results in a jammed mechanism.
I've had dozens of them come into the shop like that.
The cds must be carefully extracted before anything else.
Hopefully, the plastic gears have not been damaged due to the jamming.

Lesson learned

I sure learned that lesson!

I have the cd's out and the unit apart. with the service manual, i was able to get the tray open. the gears do no appear to be damaged and the o-ring or belt appears to be in place.

Do you have a suggestion for how to fix this so the tray will open and close? or are you of the mind of leveling the unit?

When the cd's were in the unit and the tray was "trying" to open, the cd's were stacked 3 high, I think, so i believe the tray was being pushed down. Maybe it is out of alignment?

CD Player fixed - tray opens

I am pleased to report that I have successfully fixed my cd player. In the end, I think it was just stuck.

Naresh got me in the right direction once I found the service manual. That gave me the information i needed to turn the cd tray to expose a small rectangle in the front left quadrant underneigth where a cd would sit. I put a screw driver in the gear and the tray released. I did that manually several times and put it all back together and it worked.

Persistence pays! Thanks Everyone!

Plastic slides, wear is very small, hard to compensate, and spare slides not available.
Many of those ended up as FM only, or as home theater amps, some went to scrap.
Some were fitted with FM / USB /Bluetooth modules, which lets you use a memory stick or card too.
But the CD player became useless.

I just registered to this site only to thank you really, thank you so much cathyparkvip, my cd player had the exact same problem, I pushed the tray a little by moving the gear and the little white lever hooked into the black piece wich makes the mechanism work. Thank you, this is just a great audio system.