paleaudiology - wanted FE126

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been digging around trying to find a couple of FE126E's to build a pair of Mikasa cab's. It is as much a wood working project as anything. The holidays are approaching and some plywood origami looks like fun.

Or, if there is an obvious replacement driver for this cabinet I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanking all in advance.

Bruce

I have been digging around trying to find a couple of FE126E's to build a pair of Mikasa cab's. It is as much a wood working project as anything. The holidays are approaching and some plywood origami looks like fun.

Or, if there is an obvious replacement driver for this cabinet I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanking all in advance.

Bruce

If you're concerned about the suitability of the latest version of this driver for designs such as the Mikasa, or BLH, I think it's fair to say that there's enough anecdotal evidence that it certainly is. Unless Madisound is out of stock, standard drivers should be readily available. (if you're interested in tweaked units, you know probably where to look for those)

Before undertaking any of the dual front horn / BVR designs, have you verified that you'll have suitable minimum listening distance (e.g. 3-4 meters)? If not, then something like the Woden Valiant might be worth considering. I built a pair of these based on the Maeshowe drawings ( i.e. before Scott published the Fostex version), and they certainly work.

valiant-c-3d.gif

Ever the voice of reason

Chris,

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I would have been in the Bermuda Triangle rather than the Golden Triangle. But, as luck would have it I am building these for my new office which is 5.5Mx7.5M. The room is a bit bright with wood floors but I had an acoustic ceiling put in at about 2.7M (this metric is killing me - the room has nine foot ceilings). There are lots of times I am at my desk and really need a bit of music to pick me up. The Mikasa is such a fun looking instrument that I chose it for the visuals. Happily, I have read no bad reviews as I burrow through the archives.

As always thanks for your advise.

Bruce

Chris,

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I would have been in the Bermuda Triangle rather than the Golden Triangle. But, as luck would have it I am building these for my new office which is 5.5Mx7.5M. The room is a bit bright with wood floors but I had an acoustic ceiling put in at about 2.7M (this metric is killing me - the room has nine foot ceilings). There are lots of times I am at my desk and really need a bit of music to pick me up. The Mikasa is such a fun looking instrument that I chose it for the visuals. Happily, I have read no bad reviews as I burrow through the archives.

As always thanks for your advise.

Bruce

I'm more than a bit schizophrenic myself when it comes to the imperial / metric thing. For the past 17yrs I've been working in a commercial shop utilizing a succession of German and Italian "big tools", all of which come native with OS in metric only, and of course the Russian manufactured Baltic Birch plywood comes in (nominally) 3mm increments. But when I sit down in my listening chair, I'm thinking - yup, that looks like 10ft away - just about right.

The Mikasa is a pretty looking design, and with creative mixing of material types or edge treatment that you talked about in the other thread, you could certainly get a visually stunning look. Building as many different POC prototypes or bespoke enclosures as I have over the past few years, (including one of Scott's manifold designs), I tend to appreciate those with slightly fewer parts, such as the Maeshowe/Valiant. That said, the "fonken-prime" design of which I've built quite a few pairs by now, is at least as much of a time consuming build as any of the full sized BVR/manifolds.

so not only am I slightly demented to be in this hobby, but inconsistent as well - I'll blame it on making up for all the irrational and self-abusing behavior that I didn't undertake in the 70's :eek:

have fun with the project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.