Painting fullrange driver cone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really like the all-white look of the Fostex FE83-sol and FE103En drivers, but am concerned about the extremely low xmax numbers (less than 1mm).

So I'm looking at some black or black/white drivers and the possibility of applying a thin coat of white paint which hopefully would not impact cone breakup. I will measure the on-axis and off-axis frequency response before and after to confirm. It looks difficult to spray cleanly without getting paint on the rubber surround, so I'm thinking brush-on would be better...

Does anyone have experience/recommendations on paint for paper, plastic, and/or aluminum cones? Any concerns about causing glues to deteriorate?

I went to office Max and bought straight black ink that comes in a tube. I brushed it on my fostex speakers with a few thin coats. It had little effect on the driver's sound. Jm

I literally have 100s of drivers out there with cones painted with ModPodge/Puzzlekoat (PVA). A coat (actually 2) of thinned acrylic goes on top after the spots.

I do not advise added too much damar. It stiffens the cone and can cause ringing.

dave

I agree with Dave. Damer varnish doesn't do much to the driver's but add more noise to the cones sound and takes a long time to cure. Jm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.