PA amp for home use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I repair american iron, with datasheets you can get on line and understand. Since you have a computer, you should probably watch craigslist music & electronics lists instead of pawn shops. Many devices will work a while, then overheat later. I buy genuine junk & fix it. I got a PV1.3K amp, inoperative but not smoked (no smell) recently for $60. Hauled it home in a backpack on the bus to save $8 in gas. I'm betting it will take less than $50 in parts to fix it. A nice schematic is on line. A 20 mhz scope is handy to have for this hobby. I got mine for $40, plus $70 for two probes. DVM's won't read AC accurately except at 50-60 Hz, unlike the old analog simpson meters that were useful in audio.

Last edited:
I just posted that listing so you all had some good pictures, the one im looking at is local, working, and asking $40. I'm probably going to go back later today and pickit up if i dont find anything better in the othrer pawn shops. i have already checked EVERYTHING available on craigslist.

as far as i can tell this is what the owners manual says for the vsx5600 which is supposedly the same thing but older model -

Specification :

Amplifier section
(POWER AMP IN)
Continuous average power output of 105 watts*
per channel, min., at 8 ohms, from 20 Hz to 20,000
Hz with no more than 0.008 %** total harmonic
distortion (front).

Last edited:
Rob-
If you just need something for New Years party music, grab something simple from a thrift store.($20?)
You really don't need something as complex as the Pioneer (video control, surround sound, etc..)
Also, it's always a nice idea to send your guests home with hearing intact!

John

by the way my speakers start sounding real rough and dostorted at around half vlume, this is probably just a case of too much amp and not very good speakers right? not that it realy matters because at half volume its already loud enough for the whole F'in street to hear!

by the way my speakers start sounding real rough and dostorted at around half vlume, this is probably just a case of too much amp and not very good speakers right? not that it realy matters because at half volume its already loud enough for the whole F'in street to hear!

I'm sure this won't be a problem with your guests at the New Years party!!
Perhaps a Post-It note with "Please don't turn volume up past '4' on the dial!" will do the trick.:p

I'm just going to put a note on it that says "dont F*** with my audio equipment" but even still, not a big deal of someone blows the fishers, for $50 they have already seen some good use.

on another note, i notice when i have all my neons lit (6 neons, 1 is extremely large) my radio reception is severely impared, anyone know how to make a good homemade antena? right now i have a 3 ft legnth of 4 strands of #22 twisted up real tight and it works good without any other electronics running. once i fire up the tv on top of all the neons though, i can only pick up a few channels.

Neons?

Oh, you mean like neon SIGNS - like in bars for beer and such... I was originally thinking of little neon light bulbs as originally used for turntable strobe lights and pilot lights and things. I guess calling them neons is kinda like the young'uns thesedays calling records or LP's "vinyls."

But anyway, those neon sign things generate a heck of a lot of radio interference due to the way the neon gas switches on and off with each power half cycle. The signs need to be shielded as well as possible, as well as you needing a better antenna.

Here's a "better antenna" - if you can make the lead long enough so the antenna can go to the ceiling or into the attic, that would help. For he FM band the length should be about 3 to 4 feet:
A cheap and easy TV antenna

drunk party goers love to play with volume controls.
This will result in a damaged music system.

Fit a fixed attenuator to the Power amplifier input.
Each channel needs just two low power resistors, costing just cents each.

I will most likely be running off of the computer anyways so i can just set the input volume real low on the computer... whcih brings me to another noob question, why is the the input from a computer substantially louder then my receiver/tv/cd player? if i leave the computer at full volume -60DB on the amp is enough to blow the freaking windows out of the house, I'm afraid to go any higher!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.