Oversampled DAC without digital filter vs NOS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As what, the samples don't line up? There is no possible up-sampling from 44.1 to 96 without interpolation.

I tried to address it in a earlier post; unfortunately the term "upsampler/upsampling" is used inconsistently, as it sometimes denotes just the sampling rate increase and sometimes denotes the whole resampling process including the interpolation which means a digital low pass filter.

It gets a bit more "exciting" if the sample rate change factor is not an integer number.......

In the integer case - according to plasnu - its simply raising the sample rate by the integer factor N and repeating the respective sample N-1 times.

Last edited:
So what is gained , I don't get it? You could repeat them 8X to 352.8k but the analog output is the same staircase waveform with no benefit at all?

Scott, he's actually wrong when he indicates that the output waveform is the same in either case. What doubling the sample rate, simply by repeating successive samples, does is to trick a digital interpolation filter into not removing the lower half of the first image band, in the case of an 2x rate increase. So, instead of filtering the signal at it's original Nyquist frequency, it filters it at the new higher rate's Nyquist frequency, which then will leave parts of the lower image band(s) unfiltered.

The analog signal output from the DAC will not be correctly reconstructed. The analog signal will be somewhat similar to NOS, and somewhat similar to OS. An hybrid, which may combine the best subjective aspects of both NOS and OS, or maybe the worst subjective aspects of both, or maybe simply sound different from either without sounding better.

Last edited:
Which would be completely pointless?

At least zero stuffing achieves something - less HF rolloff from a NOS DAC. It does, however, make the DAC output waveform look rather alarming to those whose intuition is not trained by facts.

Yeah, i mentioned that feature in an earlier post; i have my doubts that the izotope resampling plugin really allows such a process (at least not without a warning) as it otherwise seems to combine the worst of both if sending the new data sequence to a DAC (which will react with an internal digital low pass filter setting according to the "new" sampling rate) while the additional samples would represent additional distortion.

So it seems no one can answer the OP's question, correct?...

The OP's questions can be construed in multiple ways. As such, one answer is that there is no such thing as playback side over/upsampling which doesn't utilize some form of interpolation. Pseudo-over/upsampling via the simple repeating of successive samples changes nothing about the digital signal. It can, however, be utilized to improperly program the cut-off frequency of an following digital interpolation filter. In which case, the digital signal is still run through an digital filter.

Oversampling can be applied at the recording side of the chain. Meaning, the channel bandwidth is purposely made much wider than the signal bandwidth. In which sense, the signal bandwidth in being widely oversampled. Wide enough to enable the playback end to utilize only analog reconstruction filters without utilizing an digital interpolation filter.

DSD is an existing commercial example of an widely oversampled system requiring only relatively mild analog signal reconstruction filters. Such oversampling is also possible utilizing an PCM format, however, I know of no commercial standard involving PCM.

Not serious in the sense of po-faced, no. But serious in the sense of I'm interested in the answer as these kinds of questions have puzzled me for many years.

And in all those years, you haven't come up with comparing the input to the output, as that's the way any audio equipment is being tested since the birth of the universe?

To quote Jesse Peterson: Amazin'

Wow indeed.

And in all those years, you haven't come up with comparing the input to the output, as that's the way any audio equipment is being tested since the birth of the universe?

DACs are tested by comparing input to output? Certainly news to me.

Come to think of it, this statement of yours looks like a classic deflection. The guess I was referring to looked to be based on subjective ('only benefit') criteria rather than testing but happy for @plasnu to explain further to demonstrate the error of my assumption.

Last edited:
plasnu said:
So it seems no one can answer the OP's question, correct?..
I think we have answered it, although perhaps in a slightly roundabout way due to the original question being unclear and the subsequent discussion introducing confusion.

The original question was
ygg-it said:
is it possible to create an "oversampling" DAC without a digital filter, but still including a smooth analog filter?
There are several sensible answers to this, all of which have been included somewhere in this thread:
1. Proper oversampling requires a digital filter so to do oversampling without a digital filter is not possible.
2. You could do 'oversampling' by merely repeating samples; this has no effect - it cannot confuse a digital filter as we have already excluded a digital filter (which excludes some DAC chips).
3. You could do 'oversampling' by zero stuffing; this has the effect of reducing the HF rolloff inherent in simple NOS but at the same time it will increase image amplitude - which may be unwanted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.