Overheated brain, anyone else?

Hi,

in the test and measurement section this phenomenon is well known as TEA ... Test Equipment Addiction.
There is a special interest Group, the Test Equipment Anonymous ... in short TEA
Of course they have their own thread as well as a dedicated Glossary.
Get all Your information from Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
Examples from the Glossary - of whom many were overtaken or have been transponed to other areas of life/work/business.
  • BISCUITS: Bugs Include Sub-standard Capacitors & Unbelievably Inept Through-hole Soldering. "I just got this power supply from AliExpress, but found out it's BISCUITS."
  • BOGUS: Better Old Gear Upgrade Syndrome - Buying another of the same piece of used test equipment because it's in better condition than your current one.
  • CAFE: Caught Again Finding Equipment - When your other half walks in and chastises you for being on eBay again having a COFFEE or, even worse, right in the middle of making a TEA!
  • COFFEE: Continuous Observations For Future Electronics Equipment - The state when you just can't stop running searches on eBay because you just know that the piece of equipment that you don't yet know you need is going to be listed at any moment.
  • DPI: Dimensional Perfection Impulse - The need to have all equipment possess or occupy the same vertical or horizontal dimension when stacking or arranging on shelves or in racks.
  • LED: Lab Equipment Disorder
  • MIPS: Mouser Impulsive Purchasing Syndrome, Measuring Instrument Purchasing Syndrome - The former is an offshoot of TEA, which applies to excessive acquisition of electronics components; the latter is an associated activity of TEA
  • RAID: Redundant Array of Instrumentation Devices - When just one piece of gear simply isn't enough. Of course, having three or more is better for cross-checking the validity of measurements. See also, DEEP, DMM and TEST.
  • SMD: Slot Mismatch Disorder - A variant of ESD where new modules or slots must be acquired to rectify the mismatched condition.
  • TESLA: Test Equipment Storage Location Anguish - The conundrum of where to put all the acquired boat-anchor test gear.
  • WIFI: Whisker Intensive Fending Initiative - A typical response to distract those critical of TEA affected persons with images and/or stories of their animal friends. It is also used within TEA affected circles to redirect attention away from their addiction, while still feeling safe within that group of like minds.

But guess what ..... Tea time is always the right time. :giggle:
... and now Im off having a Coffee

jauu
Calvin

Hi,

in the test and measurement section this phenomenon is well known as TEA ... Test Equipment Addiction.
There is a special interest Group, the Test Equipment Anonymous ... in short TEA

jauu
Calvin
Of course there are Youtube videos about this affliction. I might be one of the people afflicted with this, (note my comment in the first video) and the related "OTS" Over Testing Syndrome, the urge to test every possible spec that can be measured in a piece of gear. This can grow to take precedent over actually using (listening to) that piece of gear. OTS does require actually building something to test. This is a step above the related "OSS" Over Simulation Syndrome, the urge to spend weeks in front of a computer running LT spice or ADS trying to chase all the distortions and anomalies in a design down to zero. This can result in an overheated brain before actually getting to build something to test.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• buffer-tale.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I think "Buffer underrun" was more common... Also IRQ and DMA conflicts happened on a nearly daily basis with the ISA slot and to some extent the first generations of PCI, so at least there's been some progress...

The biggest problem I've had recently was that the icon spacing was utterly messed up after upgrading to Windows 11, thankfully that was easily fixed with regedit and a reboot.

Why is it that every new version of something just hides the most relevant shortcuts one layer deeper down, and what you get in the same space is more useless stuff that does nothing?

I got many audio projects incomplete, and no money to help towards their completion for the foreseeable future.
A lot of the reason is I spent it all on a bedrock based heat-pump, solar panels for the roof, new floor and an new firewood stove with built-in thermal heat storage in the form of stones... And a fancy car...
So now my mind is working furiously to find a way to improve my sound system the cheapest way possible, I might end up sawing the tops off my two way speakers and either make some new tops or just get some Yamaha CBR10 because I am uncertain if I can do better for the price, though that would be a fun challenge...

Meanwhile the Crypto market dipped because the Stock market needed money because they missed the fact that the keys to the money press have been misplaced because someone is in denial about inflation. Or something.

So I'm trying to play games on my computer to not think about stuff that costs money, it's not helping that much, but perhaps a little bit.