Oscilloscopes and noise: Digital Versus Analog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
peufeu,

Regarding the on-screen stuff I've come to understand that 1104 has compared to the 2000 series two less horizontal dividers. The side menus cannot hide on 1104. You also lose out on the selective memory (and dial knob).

And thanks by the way for making me put up a picture. Now I see that my oscilloscope screen is dirty like no other. :D

Actually DS2072 and DS1104Z cost does not seem very different. DS1104Z looks very much like DS2000 on the video, all on-screen stuff seems identical too...

The comparison should be between the DS1074Z (US$585) and DS2072A(US$839) - so call it US$250 difference. Or 50% more. That is before you, ahem, apply any 'unofficial' firmware upgrades to either model

The big difference you are missing is that the DS1074Z is a four channel scope while the DS2xxx models are all only two channel. Not a biggie for DIY I expect, but a serious consideration in my embedded system work.

The comparison should be between the DS1074Z (US$585) and DS2072A(US$839) - so call it US$250 difference. Or 50% more. That is before you, ahem, apply any 'unofficial' firmware upgrades to either model

That's right ! I compared the wrong versions.

Rigol seems to understand that DIYers like hackable scopes... after all, they give 300 MHz probes with the DS2072...

The big difference you are missing is that the DS1074Z is a four channel scope while the DS2xxx models are all only two channel. Not a biggie for DIY I expect, but a serious consideration in my embedded system work.

The DS1074Z:

• hackable to 100MHZ
  • 4 Channel
  • 1GSa/sec (1x channel, 500 MS/s per channel 2 channel, 250MSa/s per channel 3 or 4 channels)
  • RS232/UART, I2C, and SPI decoding ability.
  • Digital phosphor technology
  • 24Mpt memory (hackable from 12MPt)
  • 500uV/div setting is hackable but not officially available. Seems to coincide with reports that reports this setting is a bit buggy.
  • up to 30,000 waveforms/sec update rate (this is actually really fast for a budget scope)
  • Advanced Triggering including trigggering off decode.There are so many triggers its impossible to list them all.
Benefits: 4 channel, top performance/$ ratio, a hell of a scope for the price. Digital phosphor technology at a bargain basement price point. LARGE memory even standard (most scopes in the budget range are around 1-2Mpt).

Cons: Sample rate can get pretty low when using all 4 channels. 500uV setting is buggy (heck many cheap scopes stop at 2 mV/div so this isn't horrible).

The DS2072A

• hackable to 300MHz
  • 2 Channel
  • 2GSa/s (1 channel, 1Gsa/s per channel 2 channels)
  • RS232/UART, I2C, CAN and SPI decoding ability.
  • 56Mpt memory (hackable from 14MPt)
  • 500uV/div setting
  • up to 50,000 waveforms/sec update rate (way better than the DS1074Z)
  • Advanced Triggering including trigggering off decode.There are so many triggers its impossible to list them all.
Benefits: Top notch sample rate, HUGE bandwidth, CAN decoding. a working 500uV/div range, 50000 waveforms/sec

Cons: 2 channel

Last edited:
The DS1074Z:

• hackable to 100MHZ
  • 4 Channel
  • 1GSa/sec (1x channel, 500 MS/s per channel 2 channel, 250MSa/s per channel 3 or 4 channels)
  • RS232/UART, I2C, and SPI decoding ability.
  • 24Mpt memory (hackable from 12MPt)
  • 500uV/div setting is hackable but not officially available. Seems to coincide with reports that reports this setting is a bit buggy.
  • up to 30,000 waveforms/sec update rate (this is actually really fast for a budget scope)
Benefits: 4 channel, top performance/$ ratio, a hell of a scope for the price. Digital phosphor technology at a bargain basement price point. LARGE memory even standard (most scopes in the budget range are around 1-2Mpt).

Cons: Sample rate can get pretty low when using all 4 channels. 500uV setting is buggy (heck many cheap scopes stop at 2 mV/div so this isn't horrible).

The DS2072A

• hackable to 300MHz
  • 2 Channel
  • 2GSa/s (1 channel, 1Gsa/s per channel 2 channels)
  • RS232/UART, I2C, CAN and SPI decoding ability.
  • 56Mpt memory (hackable from 14MPt)
  • 500uV/div setting
  • up to 50,000 waveforms/sec update rate (way better than the DS1074Z)
Benefits: Top notch sample rate, HUGE bandwidth, CAN decoding. a working 500uV/div range, 50000 waveforms/sec

Cons: 2 channel

Great summary, thanks. I am currently in the market for what amounts to a 4 channel version of the DS2072A, preferably with digital inputs as well. Clearly, not on a DIY budget, so not really relevant to this discussion.

One more thing about waveform update rates. Agilent is the undisputed king in this area. The custom MegaZoom IV ASIC they use allows for blistering rates. Especially when you reach the 500MHz scopes where they approach 1 million waveforms per second. Rigol plays a very close second in the 100Mhz range and a distant, but respectable, second in the 500Mhz range. Mostly, this shows how bad Tektronix has fallen behind in technology, though they are trying to catch up.

Maximum rates waveform update rates for100MHz scopes:
Rigol DS1000Z series : 30000
Rigol DS2000A series: 50000
Agilent DSO-X2000 Series: 54000
Tektronix DPO2000 series: 6200
Tektronix TDS2000 series: 200 (wtf!)
LeCroy WaveJet: 1000

Maximum rates waveform update rates for500MHz scopes:
Rigol DS4000A series : 110000
Agilent DSO-X3000 Series: 1030000
Tektronix DPO3000 series: 46000
Tektronix TDS3000 series: 770 (wtf!)
LeCroy WaveSurfer: 490 (wtf!)

Source: http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-7885EN.pdf and elsewhere

Great summary, thanks. I am currently in the market for what amounts to a 4 channel version of the DS2072A, preferably with digital inputs as well. Clearly, not on a DIY budget, so not really relevant to this discussion.

It's ok. I consider anything <$3k a DIY budget. As there are many who can afford the $3k price tag. Though I'm not sure of your price range.

You have a good number of options.

Rigol MSO4000 series and the Agilent MSO-X2000 series.

I'm not sure if you need new but if not, the Agilent MSO-2024A is on sale at Agilent Certified Premium Used for $2400. You can usually bargain the price down a decent amount or if they won't budge on price you can get them to throw in a bunch of options. Though note the recent hack of agilents firmware allowing for all of the options IIRC.

With this one you get:
4 channels
8 logic channels
200Mhz
5 year warranty
54000 waveforms/sec
10kPts memory (hack should enable 1Mpt per channel)
Intensity grading
etc. etc. etc.
Plus, I think it can be hacked to include all options.

Really, there is a sweet spot that Rigol might be missing with not having a DS2074

It's ok. I consider anything <$3k a DIY budget. As there are many who can afford the $3k price tag. Though I'm not sure of your price range.

You have a good number of options.

Rigol MSO4000 series and the Agilent MSO-X2000 series.

I'm not sure if you need new but if not, the Agilent MSO-2024A is on sale at Agilent Certified Premium Used for $2400. You can usually bargain the price down a decent amount or if they won't budge on price you can get them to throw in a bunch of options. Though note the recent hack of agilents firmware allowing for all of the options IIRC.

With this one you get:
4 channels
8 logic channels
200Mhz
5 year warranty
54000 waveforms/sec
10kPts memory (hack should enable 1Mpt per channel)
Intensity grading
etc. etc. etc.
Plus, I think it can be hacked to include all options.

Really, there is a sweet spot that Rigol might be missing with not having a DS2074
I am looking at the DSOX3024A or MSO3024A, with the idea that these can be upgraded. The 200MHz bandwidth covers, just, what I need to have now. But I would be looking to upgrade to 350MHz in the next budget cycle.

I agree, a DS2074 would be very nice - I would certainly seriously consider it as a spare for the lab and/or home.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Just for the record...
Scope screen cleaned and rectifier ringing damped.

damped_ringning.jpg

Sorry for slight OT :)

I have the A version. It does have switchable 50 ohms inputs, and is hackable to 300 MHz instead of 200 for the non-A version. So, there is really no reason to get the old one.

The hack is a bit more subtle with the A version, but not really hard. There is a nice PDF manual on the EEVBlog on how to hack your scope. You gotta love the internets.

Oh yeah, some of the low-end Agilent scopes are actually Rigols. I don't remember which. You might want to check. If it's the same scope, you can save a few bucks... if you hack it, you may not care too much about the Agilent support and stuff anyway.

Last edited:
I am looking at the DSOX3024A or MSO3024A, with the idea that these can be upgraded. The 200MHz bandwidth covers, just, what I need to have now. But I would be looking to upgrade to 350MHz in the next budget cycle.

I agree, a DS2074 would be very nice - I would certainly seriously consider it as a spare for the lab and/or home.

The DSO-X3000 series is hackable as well. Agilent was running a special recently purchase one option and get ALL of the rest for free. We will see if they bring that back. Though there is speculation that the sale was them trying to get the last bit of money out of a series before they bring out a new one.

I have the A version. It does have switchable 50 ohms inputs, and is hackable to 300 MHz instead of 200 for the non-A version. So, there is really no reason to get the old one.

The hack is a bit more subtle with the A version, but not really hard. There is a nice PDF manual on the EEVBlog on how to hack your scope. You gotta love the internets.

Oh yeah, some of the low-end Agilent scopes are actually Rigols. I don't remember which. You might want to check. If it's the same scope, you can save a few bucks... if you hack it, you may not care too much about the Agilent support and stuff anyway.

Yeah the DS2000A series is a great series. There are some reports that the new Siglent SDS2000 series is QUITE good too but the reports are too few and far between for me to trust anything. Additionally, they aren't nearly as hackable, at this time, so they aren't quite the value that the Rigol is. As for the Rigol-Agilent connection. Rigol makes the DSO1000 series for Agilent. I have often wondered if this is how Rigol cut their teeth making quality scopes. This partnership has been going on for years now. If you look, Rigol was unheard of before this partnership. After the partnership they release a variety of VERY compelling scopes. The first company to make budget scopes that are "good enough" in quality for the hobbist and entry-pro level.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.