orion 2150sx on output oneside

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok i am new at this and may be over my head but i was give a mint looking amp with a blown channel and was wondering if any would be willing to teach me how to go about trouble shooting or testing part to figure this out. then i can smile and say i did it.
i oppen this amp up and there is no smell or burnt looking parts but that is all i did dont want to mess anything up . thank you

ok i am new at this. you asked if there was a dc on the output. how do i go about doing this? hook it all up and what do i test the . do i put a meter on the wires and what kind of meter. if you guy help me i know i can do this. does anyone know where i can get something that will tell me what each thing is inside this amp. again thanks

Power your amp up with no speakers connected. Use your meter to test for dc voltage on speaker connections. Red probe to pos. connector & black probe to neg. connector. Post back what the readings are. The two links in Perry's sig are some of the best material to use.

ok i hook up amp no speakers or rca on a actron d.meter on dc v 2 and on right side it reads 38.6 and on left side it reads 39.6 . its looks to me as the yello w + from the left side is real close to the black and orange - and may be touching form the solider . as if i put the meter on the back /yellow - and put the meter form the yellow or the black/orange it has the same reading 39.6 so could they be touching at the board because i sould not be able to put the meter on the negative side of left side and touch the to positive one same side of channel and then to the negative to the right side and have the same reading. trying to make everyone understand. thank you

when you measure the left and right channels, pay attention whether its putting out - or + voltage.

id go to perry's site and learn how to properly measure semiconductors (transistors/mosfets) first...does your meter have diode check?

when you start to desolder things, make sure the iron is hot before starting.

right now your amp is putting out the rail voltage supplied by the power supply....but we have to see whether it is putting out
- or + to further narrow it down.

this amp can be tricky...

Ok i tried and it showing that the right side orange is 38.6-
left side yellow is 39.6+

as far as the meter i am using it a actron cp7678

I have been looking at Perry Babin web sight and have searched the forums for this amp , but still new at this so i dont want to do anything wrong and would really like to learn this.
perrys web page is good!!

if you guys dont mind i would like walked trow this. thank you

find a place to download these datasheets

MPSU57
MPSU07

A56
A06

NE5532
NE5534 (dont worry about letter after the numbers)

2n5639

buy a desoldering pump, and some solder and a good hot iron.

the symbol for 'diode check' will look something like this:

->l-

you need the diode check function to make checking the transistors and mosfets easier.

what are you using as a power supply?

Power supply is a ac adapter input 120v ac 60hz 25 w
output is 12v dc 1a

you need the diode check function to make checking the transistors and mosfets easier is this where i need to start by checking this?

can use a good heat gun will get solder etc.

are them part numbers where i need to check?
and if so what are they called.

can someone please look up my model meter and tell me if it will work.actron cp7678

I am ready to go i think if nothing i am learning new things

where do i start

What do you read on the 20 volt range?

If it's 0.039, the amp doesn't have any excessive DC on the outputs.

You said there's a dead channel. Is the channel completely dead (never any output)? If you change the position of the switches or move the RCA cables, do you ever get any sound/noise/static from the dead channel?

jimang22 said:

are them part numbers where i need to check?
and if so what are they called.

you need to know which legs are for what in order to check them.

Transistors used in audio drive/predrive circuit - 8 vertical standing on board
--------------
MPSU57
MPSU07

Small transistors half round - all over the place
--------------
A56
A06

Signal Opamps - rectangular black 8 leg chips
--------------
NE5532
NE5534

JFET in muting circuit - looks like A56 & A06
--------------
2n5369

Perry made a good point, measure the outputs again.

With that power supply your using, it probably shouldnt reach much past 36 volts <<< which is the approximate rail voltage.

Dont worry about diode check just yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.