Optical 2 S/pdif converter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think it's as simple as powering an optical receiver and connecting it to your SPDIF input.

Pretty much, except that the output from the optical receiver will be TTL (probably 3.3V) and a coaxial SPDIF input won't be wanting an input as high as that. It would probably be fine, but to be on the safe side use a potential divider to drop it down to ~1V.

Ideally, yes.

I worked out the following, I'm pretty sure it's right for a source impedance of 75Ohms, but please someone correct me if I'm wrong...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Obviously you'll need to choose the nearest standard values to those, and also make sure that your optical receiver is happy with the relatively low impedance.

Hmm, actually the more I look at this the more I think that the transmission line will only 'see' R2 and as such R2 should be 75ohms, rather than the combination of R1 and R2 being 75 ohms, anyone? If that's the case then you need R1 to be around 170ohms.

That's pretty significant lag.

All I can say is check all the hidden menus on your monitor/receiver/source to see if there's any latency adjustments. You'd think it'd be the other way around with all the video format conversions going on today.

Maybe selecting 720p or some different format will incur a little delay in the video that helps mitigate the problem. Don't know. I'd be interested in your discovery though.

Can you post your component model#'s and maybe the community can help?

Coax to optical

I've got a Pioneer DVD/HDD recorder with a coax digital output...and an amp with only optical inputs. Which would be better/easier: install an optical output in the recorder or a coaxial input in the amp...and how is it done.

Thanks

I would say its 10x easier to add an optical output. Basically take the digital out signal and wire it into the appropriate TOTX transmitter. (You need to pick the right voltage - 3.3V or 5V)

However, adding an coax input to the amp would be much harder and expensive but could produce lower jitter. Search for the S/PDIF input circuits here and on the web. There's a HUGE discussion on how to do it right.

Thanks Iain

In that case I'll add an optical output to the recorder (I'm not chasing the ultimate in sound quality with this setup as I have another system for that).

Is it as simple as tapping into the signal that enters the rear of the coaxial output's RCA....and wiring it to the input of an optical transmitter like this one (along with the an appropriate 3.3V supply for the transmitter)?

Optical transmitter - Jaycar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.