Oppo's BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, it looks like so... After reading his notes about this experiment. As I can see in his picture he use an (TP) interface for the digital signals. Maybe Joe Hong can clarify himself what is all about...

Technically speaking it may be a performance. But I can not see very well the whole point with a such modification, more than only a (hobby) technically solution to interface two devices.

If one should (invest in to) have both the Oppo 103 player and a Buffalo DAC, then is all right to put it together, if Joe Hong may make available his details for the interface solution.
Else, I can see a overall price issue here. The 103/103D models are priced as 500-600$. The fully equipped Buffalo DAC it cost almost 500$. Joe`s LPM it is priced 250$ or so. The overall price in this case it is the price of a new/standard Oppo 105. Well, I can accept that a such modified 103 device (with Buffalo DAC) it may sounds better than a stock 105 model. More than this, over the financial/price aspect it is here about the ones abilities to put all these together in a right way to make it function (if documentation may be available). A quite demanding hobby task here.

When about to commercialize a such modified 103/103D Oppo player, I have some serious doubts about the legal aspects. Buffalo DAC is meant as for individual use, but not to be resell it. The TP agreement for a such business may be required. Supposedly an agreement may be in place, then it may increase the overall final price of the device quite much.
These are my thoughts for moment. Maybe Joe Hong may have a different view of the final point in all this.

It is true that an stock Oppo 105/105D player does not sounds as it should when using a ESS9018 DAC chip. A right modified such device it sounds completely different, and the video performances are also much improved. Adding a Buffalo DAC to a 103 model it improve only the sound, for a price of a new 105/105D model...

The technical solution to connect these two devices together it is to be appreciated, but the rest of the clue in all this I can not see it so far...

It is true that an stock Oppo 105/105D player does not sounds as it should when using a ESS9018 DAC chip. A right modified such device it sounds completely different, and the video performances are also much improved. Adding a Buffalo DAC to a 103 model it improve only the sound, for a price of a new 105/105D model...

He says, that the result is much better, than 105. So it worth such upgrading if it's so.

I wonder if such upgrade is possible only with 9018 DAC.

It is true that an stock Oppo 105/105D player does not sounds as it should when using a ESS9018 DAC chip.

Complete nonsense. How do you think Oppo has become such a brand name? By using good components and solid engineering. Amateurs can only make it worse, as many of the silly solutions proposed in this thread make abundantly clear.

Buy an Oppo and enjoy it would be my advice, and if you are interested in electronics, start at ground level. Don't fiddle with high tech gear without the required knowledge and measurement facilities.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The I2S interface is to be used with every kind of DAC chip which support such standard interface. The whole system it may be controlled somehow, by a dedicated software (device`s firmware). I still think at this level it may be some compatibility issues...
Experiments may be necessary to ensure a well/right functioning...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Complete nonsense. How do you think Oppo has become such a brand name? By using good components and solid engineering. Amateurs can only make it worse, as many of the silly solutions proposed in this thread make abundantly clear.

Buy an Oppo and enjoy it would be my advice, and if you are interested in electronics, start at ground level. Don't fiddle with high tech gear without the required knowledge and measurement facilities.

Are you able to do such things? Did you ever? Someone just make me sick sometimes...:(

Attachments

• Mods2.jpg
    Mods2.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 399
  • Mods1.jpg
    Mods1.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
I am not trolling, just trying to caution the gullible not to follow false prophets.

So Staudio, I don't know about you, you may be a lost case, but to others: please use your common sense. For example, don't mount fans on top of sensitive electronics. Thermal equilibrium is required for optimum performance, thermal disturbances as caused by a fan will lead to at least an increase in 1/f noise (why do you think the best crystals are ovenized?). Or, don't hack into a piece of electronics as long as you don't understand the underlaying schematic. Please, don't do those things.

But if you intend to do them anyways, out of curiosity or vandalism, please make sure you have the right equipment to measure the effect of what you have done, as well as the training to use those tools right.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. An Oppo 105 in good working order is very much an unbroke piece of kit. I will continue to argue this point as long as the situation warrants it.

Last edited:
I am not trolling, just trying to caution the gullible not to follow false prophets.

So Staudio, I don't know about you, you may be a lost case, but to others: please use your common sense. For example, don't mount fans on top of sensitive electronics. Thermal equilibrium is required for optimum performance, thermal disturbances as caused by a fan will lead to at least an increase in 1/f noise (why do you think the best crystals are ovenized?). Or, don't hack into a piece of electronics as long as you don't understand the underlaying schematic. Please, don't do those things.

But if you intend to do them anyways, out of curiosity or vandalism, please make sure you have the right equipment to measure the effect of what you have done, as well as the training to use those tools right.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. An Oppo 105 in good working order is very much an unbroke piece of kit. I will continue to argue this point as long as the situation warrants it.

It looks like that you are against modding at all. So it is very funny what do you do at Do It Yourself forum.
Untill you show your real experiments with OPPO your comments are senseless.

How do you think Oppo has become such a brand name?

Good business model and practice!!!!!

Oppo Digital was founded in 2004 and the first product was the DV970HD at 149 USD. They cornered the low end of the player market and within a short time had that market all to themselves. The DV970 was a market winner and also a favorite with the mod set as well, as there were a number of small companies in the player modification business at that time.
I heard one of these 970 players at an audio show in 2006. The stock version of the player sounded okay with sacd, as the scarlet book specs are tight and most of the lower cost players of the day sounded real similar with sacd discs. Rbcd playback was another story as the 970 sounded like the cheap cd player that it was.
The modified version was another story, and all musics sounded like that from players costing many times more. There were players there for comparisons.

The Oppo strategy was obvious. Corner the market at the price point and then later move up the price bracket. And that's what happened.
Now they only have Marantz as competition, and all the Marantz players cost more and have less features.

Nobody minds reasonable skepticism, that is always welcome. But not everybody wants to be "saved" by self-appointed judges of what is acceptable orthodoxy and what is not.

If you are on a budget and all you can afford is a stock Oppo, then go for it - you won't do better.

But ask people who have owned a stock Oppo and then had it reworked and you get comments like this:

"I plugged it in I knew it was something special. It bears no relation to the otherwise more than capable standard oppo 105."

[After] in almost constant use for a couple of months or so I find it a true revelation, everything...is revealed new minted, full of unheard nuances, CD's that sounded rather ho-hum have become a riveting listen, hard edged red book CD's reappear with a warm natural balance."

"The player's ability to scrounge every last bit of micro detail is truly astounding. All of the layers in a complex piece are revealed with clarify, no such thing as an homogeneous wash of sound with this player."

"The ability to pick out and follow the line of individual voices in a complex whole is a true delight, imaging is rock solid and soundscape takes you wide and deep. Instrumental and voice timbre and texture is so natural, not a hint of digital artifice, dare I say it but it is more analogue than analogue!"

Yes, you can get a whole lot of mileage out of the Oppo if you are willing to invest just a little more. This is not voodoo science. Even representatives of Oppo down here in Australia and New Zealand have fully acknowledged this and Oppo have even been known to supply Oppos to acknowledged upgraders directly, such as NuForce (the guy who started up NuForce is good friends with one of the movers who started Oppo Digital), so here is clear evidence that Oppo themselves are fully aware that Oppos can be, at a cost, be taken to the next level.

So, don't believe us, believe Oppo themselves and many of their reps will tell you - they have heard the results and have no doubt. The only thing that concerns them is that the work is done professionally and up to a high standard.

This Oppo below was supplied by Oppo directly to NuForce:

image1.jpg

Worth a thought?

Oooooooooh vacuphile, please (no ... wait, we'll come to that).

An engineer (electrical) and myself compared 2 players - 1 extensively modified, and 1 not.

The big surprise to both of us was how quickly we were able to determine significant/substantial differences: the extensively modded player clearly sounded better (better bass, better transients etc. Of course if you consider that a disadvantage, hey you're allowed to!).

Just as he didn't use a lab to discern the different tyres he put on his car performed better (better turn in) and sounded quieter, we used no (hardware) instruments.
I was born with my 'instruments.'
They have evolved over a couple of million yrs: we only 'recently' started building electronic instruments.

I want my player to sound similar to the better one we listened to.

If you are going to tell me I'm gullible, then BUGGER OFF: I hear what I hear, and don't drop hard earned cash in somebody else's pocket easily, my scottish heritage ensures that.

But PLEASE oooh non troll, and non false prophet, if you can SAVE me, get back to me. Thank you.

Complete nonsense. How do you think Oppo has become such a brand name? By using good components and solid engineering. Amateurs can only make it worse...

This part of your statement is a bit misleading. Nearly all commercial products have a bill-of-materials cost budget, as well as development time budget. Both such budgets result in some degree of product compromise. Those same solid engineers you refer to undoubtedly could themselves have improved their own product if given increased materials and/or time budgets. It doesn't necessarily follow that a competent amateur can only make it worse.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes, you can get a whole lot of mileage out of the Oppo if you are willing to invest just a little more.

How much is a "little more"?

When I looked around the commercial offerings the "little more" was often more than the cost of the Oppo itself.

Coris is clearly offering upgrade modules, but pricing is nowhere to be found in this thread. Maybe Coris (or a customer) could tell us just how much a little more comes down to in this case.

I do believe that the Oppo can be modded to sound better, but I also agree with Audiophile that a grain of caution is in place, in particular when considering the semi-commercial nature of this thread.

Joined 2009
Paid Member

When I looked around the commercial offerings the "little more" was often more than the cost of the Oppo itself.

Coris is clearly offering upgrade modules, but pricing is nowhere to be found in this thread. Maybe Coris (or a customer) could tell us just how much a little more comes down to in this case.

I do believe that the Oppo can be modded to sound better, but I also agree with Audiophile that a grain of caution is in place, in particular when considering the semi-commercial nature of this thread.

You are already referering to this thread as of a "semi commercial nature", so how do you think I may present here a eventual price list?
If you may need to know more in this respect, then you can just PM and ask me directly. The private/particular subjects are to be treated/discussed through private messages (PM).

At least there is not this thread the right place for hanging out a list of services and its prices. The meaning of this thread is to present technical subjects for a public discussion, evaluation, appreciation, etc.
Mainly here is about to exchange informations based on the subject Oppo 105/105D players, the mods one or another may find out about, sharing the findings, the results, for others knowledge and DIY implementations.
As very known so far, they who use or are interested in this DIY forum are divided in two parts: one who is quite active, and do the things (mods, experiments or whatsoever), present here their work, it initiate the discussions, and another larger part who are mainly readers, or users of the informations presented by those in the first mentioned (more active) part of the DIY forum users. As I can see/notice these two parts are tied to each other, and one can not do very much without another one. I appreciate this as a healthy way to do it, beneficial, and progressive...

I`m not offering upgrade modules in this thread, but I make known here my way of doing it, my results, or how it looks my modifications.
If you will take a look in the beginning of this thread, you will see some of my fully amateur experiments, quite empiric modifications, etc. My work it followed a evolution, and I`m now able to put all together in a more professional way, I have designed all in modular approaches, I got/get better results, and so on. That`s all.

Last edited:

NicMac,

in fact, there are a lot of things you can do very inexpensively to improve the 105 substantially.

For example, I have removed the output coupling capacitors. This alone will reduce the grain on the output.
I went further and installed a linear power supply (from OPPOMOD), disabled the multichannel card, added shielding, and added decoupling capacitors to the Sabre chip. I also added a balanced transformer to the input of my amplifier. I also added some chassis damping, and Sorbothane vibration isolation.
This provides substantial improvement to the 105.

These and many other ideas are discussed throughout this thread. You should also ensure that you are providing clean power to the unit.

Eric

Last edited: