Opinions on this $32 remote volume kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have bought this pcb set but haven't used it. It requires 9v ac supply for the relays and micro. If you are planning to buy this, I will be glad to sell / trade. I forgot to add that it is not a kit but a fully built / assembled pcb you get from them.
thanks,
Dinesh

I used the eaxct same kit for my preamp. The unit works fine and is very cheap. The board are thick and very well made, the only problem is that the pot used is 100k, way too high to be ideal for a gainclone. Idelally you want 10-20k. I ahev replace teh pot on mine unfortunately this wasnt easy since the alps unit of that same form factor but 10k has a different pins layout.

I would say the kit is very good value and well made but they can be a pain to use with a gainclone, if only the sold them with different values of pot. I bought the kit cos it was so cheap but ended up wishing i had got one from www.dantimax.com since i think it would have been the easier option overal.

Alos if you are going to build a preamp for a gainclone i would suggest using Nuuks transistor buffer, made the world of difference to mine.

Fil

Filholder, Thanks, I checked out the dantimax stuff. But their kits are nothing more than a board to control a motorized pot. No remote control unit, P/S, or pot. Don't know if they are even stereo boards or made for a remote control and if so where would I get such a remote control. You had an idea on how to use their kit?

Isn't there anything digital out there? just a simple up/down volume controll? I don't like the idea of useing a dc motor for volume controll, could add interferance,let alone theres all of that bulk inside the amp. Isnt there a way to have simple push button up/down volume with a remote and an ir reciever?

ThSpeakerDude88 said:
Isn't there anything digital out there? just a simple up/down volume controll? I don't like the idea of useing a dc motor for volume controll, could add interferance,let alone theres all of that bulk inside the amp. Isnt there a way to have simple push button up/down volume with a remote and an ir reciever?
Are you suggesting that adding digital circuitry to an otherwise completely analog circuit is not going to add interference? Besides, even if there is any interference from the motor it would only be when the volume is being changed. I have two pieces of audio gear that use motorized volume controls and I must say that there is more mechanical noise from the motor turning then there ever could be from electrical interference.

Yes, a simple up/down control could be made with a microcontroller and a digital potentiometer, but I think a digital pot may introduce more distortion than an analog pot, and they have a maximum wiper current of 1mA, which could be too low for some designs.

I have found just the digital pot for the job however, if anyone cares to embark on this project. The DS1808. It only comes in an SOIC package, so I would buy some SOIC->DIP adapter boards for testing them out.

chuck55 said:
Has anyone seen this volume remote kit before? Any thoughts if it is any good? Looks like you need to supply the power transformer.

http://eshop.diyclub.biz/product_info.php?cPath=85&products_id=195

This is the MV-01. For 3 USD more you can have the MV-06. I emailed them last night as I was curious to see what's the difference between the two of them. Here is the answer:

Hello,
The MV-01 can config as one balance input and the MV-06 can config as 5.1
channel besides the orignal 4 single end input.
shipping to canada by UPS without the transformer is 26.50USD or by Hong
Kong Post air parcel is 10.50USD
Regards

Johnny

For a measly 3 USD more, I guess I'm gonna go with the MV-06 as this will provide me with more options in the future. What do you guys think ?

Now I've got to write back to ask about the transformer as there is not much info on the side regarding it.

I bought one

A few weeks ago, I ordered one of the MV-06 from DIYClub. Shipping was fast and the product looks good. I haven't had time to test it yet and before I do, I'll have to replace the 100 k pot for a 20 k. As mentioned before in this thread, It seems the pinout might be different so I'm going to have to do a little research first.

I can't wait to upgrade my pot on my LM3875 GC. If only I had more time... :bawling:

Re: I bought one

fireman said:
A few weeks ago, I ordered one of the MV-06 from DIYClub. Shipping was fast and the product looks good. I haven't had time to test it yet and before I do, I'll have to replace the 100 k pot for a 20 k. As mentioned before in this thread, It seems the pinout might be different so I'm going to have to do a little research first.

I can't wait to upgrade my pot on my LM3875 GC. If only I had more time... :bawling:

Id like to know what it costed yuo landed to your door ? and got any pic's ? im interested :D

Jason

Jason, I'm back.

According to my Paypal account, this kit cost me 50 USD shipped to my door.

Here are the pictures.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Input Board

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Input Board PCB

Volume Board

Another view of the Volume Board

Volume Board PCB

Cable, IR Receiver and Encoder

Remote Control

Let me know if you need anything else. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.