Opinions on the best small paper cone full range driver above 400 hz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Certainly looks to be a contender for best value for the dollar*, but best? I'm working to get mine ready to evaluate. They are of typical quality scandinavian construction.

* and could well be even more so with the level of ancillary gear typically used with.

Also, i believe, the only driver xrk has played with.

dave

Looking forward to your review!

@ Bill, Adam that runs 8 Ball audio featured above, is on the forum as SmallAngryBoy.

If I remember correctly he really likes the TangBands, he has however just installed some Alpair 10 MAOP in a lovely cabinet I made him, haven't heard any response since the driver have been run in.

Like myself he also has a pair of the Air drivers that were shipped out for free from one of the threads. He might chime in...?

WRT BMRs,

I rather like them. I put 4 of the 65mm square ones in a ~1.5L enclosure tuned ~120Hz, two firing forwards, two firing backwards - basically a little boombox taking some inspiration from the Boominator. For the size of the thing, it goes silly loud while still sounding fairly clean. HD comes in a bit toward the top end of the volume control.

I did note that they sound decent off-axis, but incredibly harsh exactly on-axis. If you're sat off axis, these are great at £10 a pop.

Chris

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just saw this link posted in another thread by Adason - great resource and compilation of alternatives.

Timothy Feleppa's Pages

Based on this, the high value leader with a 10 score is the $10 Vifa TC7FD which I have to try now...

Freq Response:
TC7_FreqResp.png

Distortion
TC7_RelHarm.png

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.