Opinions on David Louis Tweeters

Don't waste your money on the Chinese junk sold on ebay.

I've used the Morel CAT308s as substitutes for the D28/2. The main difference is the 104mm faceplate instead of 110mm on the Dynaudio. They're a great tweeter and likely my favorite 1" soft dome for under $100. I believe Morel makes the closest thing to Dynaudio when it comes to tweeters. The CAT328S has a 110mm faceplate like the D28, so they're a drop in substitute and require no modification to the xover in most cases.

The Scanspeak D2905 series tweeters are also very similar in performance to Dynaudio. The 2905-9300 is surprisingly similar sounding to the D260 esotar but has more top end extension. The 2905-9500 is more accurate and refined but not by much.

Both options can handle first order networks as good as original Dynaudio drivers. The Morels are more consistent than the Scanspeak IMO, but a bit more laid back sounding. The Morels however can deal with more dynamic range and abuse.

Reactions: 1 user
I just found this
https://lautsprecher-technik.com/Sp...06-2A-Diaphragm-8-Ohm-28-8mm.html?language=en
no idea if they are any good but it’s worth a ****!
I've used these before. Not something your average diy person can work with, as they require distortion measurements to center properly in the VC gap. Problems with these are -

- Nomex former material is an issue. Dynaudio uses aluminum formers and this contributes significantly to the sound.

- VC winding offset is too deep, requiring the depth to be shimmed with spacers. If not accounted for, this will cause higher distortion and limit dynamics significantly.

- Last issue is the edge wound VC itself. Dynaudio and Morel both use hexagonal aluminum wire for weight savings and efficiency, but the main thing this results in is the winding thickness being different. The original VCs have thinner winding cross section and the correct radial clearance for proper VC centering.

I would consider the Morel tweeters as a replacement or send in the old tweeters to Dynaudio for repair.

Reactions: 1 users