Opinions on 5" midwoofer choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm going to design and build a pair of small monitor speakers with Seas 27TDFC tweeters and some 5" midwoofers. The tweeters I already have and I also have some measuring equipment so I can design the crossovers myself if I need to.

Now I can't decide which midwoofers to buy. The enclosure size will be something like 8 liters ported and the crossover point maybe near 2 kHz.

The drivers I have considered so far are Peerless' new HDS basic (830873) and phase plugged (830882) versions and Seas L15RLY/P or CA15RLY.

All of these cost about the same at the local vendor. The phase plugged Peerless has the lowest inductance above 2kHz, but does it matter if the crossover is at 2 kHz? The aluminum Seas has the resonance peak at 9 kHz but John K has designed a crossover for it that could be used.

Of course I will consider other suggestions also.

Morel has the MW144 5-incher, should have an F3 of 50-55Hz in a 7l or so vented box. It may be the perfect choice for you. Some guru that I know told me that it's the best Morel midbass for a small bookshelf. As a matter of fact I'm planning to buy one myself.

Le is also pretty small.

There is an user of DIY Audio that built a pair of speakers using this driver, don't remember his name, maybe do a search with the drivers name, he might give you some opinions.

The Morel looks like avery good driver for my purpose, but it would exceed my budget as it costs roughly 2x more than the peerless and seas drivers.
I noticed John Krutke's measurements of 27tdfc with a wave guide and also that a local hifi store sells very similar wave guides that they also use in their speaker kits, so I might buy a pair of them and see if they measure well with the tweeters.

I would definately go with peerless 830860. I've just finished a project using it in a 11 liter enclosure, and it sounds just amazing! (crossed first order with a 47 Ohm resistor bypass on the inductor). I matched it to a Vifa XT19, had to use a 1.1Ohm resistor to attenuate the volume of the XT19, but it sounds amazingly good for the price.

Enjoy!

sberube said:
I would definately go with peerless 830860. I've just finished a project using it in a 11 liter enclosure, and it sounds just amazing! (crossed first order with a 47 Ohm resistor bypass on the inductor). I matched it to a Vifa XT19, had to use a 1.1Ohm resistor to attenuate the volume of the XT19, but it sounds amazingly good for the price.

Enjoy!

Glad to hear someone is happy with this Peerless model. I've chosen these over a small handfull of units and will be using a pair of them in an active system with a ribbon (MMT) and a pair of subs.

Should prove interesting...

Mark

sberube said:
I would definately go with peerless 830860.

Why did you choose 830860 over the Nomex-cone series? At least here in finland the 830873 and the phase plugged 830882 cost about the same as 830860, the nomex exclusive model being slightly cheaper than the other 5" models. Weird, considering that it ought to be the flagship model of peerless.

It does not have a very smooth roll off but if I use it with waveguided 27tdfc I would cross it over quite low, so a smooth roll off is of little use to me anyway. I suppose the exclusive model should have the least distortion because it has a copper cap over the pole piece. The other peerless models do not have it.

I'd have to say the choice was a combination of price (54$ CAD here), sensitivity (to match the Vifa XT19 I'm using), look (it looks really really nice), low frequency response, and the length to which it goes flat. This guy can provide flat response all the way to 5khz + So wanting to cross over in the 3600-3800 range, this was a good driver. Also, if I failed miserably with my project, I wanted to (re)use the driver to build a TL, and it is close to having the proper parameters for it. Oh, and I don't like the look of the exclusive model with the phase plug :)

pajazo said:

Why did you choose 830860 over the Nomex-cone series? At least here in finland the 830873 and the phase plugged 830882 cost about the same as 830860, the nomex exclusive model being slightly cheaper than the other 5" models. Weird, considering that it ought to be the flagship model of peerless.

It does not have a very smooth roll off but if I use it with waveguided 27tdfc I would cross it over quite low, so a smooth roll off is of little use to me anyway. I suppose the exclusive model should have the least distortion because it has a copper cap over the pole piece. The other peerless models do not have it.

Tomv, FYI, the Nomex Exclusive does have a phase plug.

Pajazo, does your store actually have the exclusives in? Here state-side they are still vaporware. I have been reading about them for some time and they look quite impressive on paper, especially for the cost (~$75 for the 8") but haven't physically appeared AFAIK.

Yeah, he mentionned exclusive nomex, but I believe he ment exclusive (exclusive and nomex are two different lines of products). And the white/silver phase plug and frame are really ugly. But I woulnd't go painting the phase plug. If you do, you'll have to re-calculate all your values. It'll most probably affect the response of the driver.

Tomv said:
There is no phase plug in the Nomex

I wasn't thinking about mass as much as I was thinking about the uniformity of the material of the plug which might change the response. But yeah, if your not carefull covering the cone, you might mass load it and change the response there too.

pajazo said:
I don't believe that painting the phase plug would affect the response of a driver. The phase plug is attached to the pole piece, so the paint would not affect the mass of the cone.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
sberube said:
I wasn't thinking about mass as much as I was thinking about the uniformity of the material of the plug which might change the response. But yeah, if your not carefull covering the cone, you might mass load it and change the response there too.

.... The phase plug is attached to the pole piece.....

/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.