Open or chambered tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I'm having a go at my first speaker project. The Audax home theatre kit. Just starting with the fronts for now.
Anyway, according to the plans, the tweeter is mounted so that the back is open to the inside of the speaker box. (straight opposite the reflex port).
My baffle is a bit thicker than standard, so it would be possible to mount the tweeter in it's own small chamber, either sealed or partially sealed.
What I'd like to know is if there are any advantages/disadvantages to either approach.
I can't help thinking that blocking off the back of the tweeter from the rear port would be a good thing...

Opinions?

Thanks,
Mark.

P.S. Yes I have compensated the volume for the thicker baffle.
:)

This thread doesn't have to live that long to find (NOT invent) a benefit :devilr:

Depending on tweeter construction an own chamber CAN have the following benefits:

1.) If you can remove the back chamber of the tweeter you can significantely lower the tweeters fs by the application of a selfmade larger backchamber, which in turn makes xover design easier. Audio Physic is doing that with the Viva ringradiator.

Disadvantages: The tweeter can be destroyed when attempting to disassemble it, you have to prevent fibers from entering the airgap and the shape and stuffing of the chamber are of course critical.

2.) It wouldn't be bad if the back chambers of some tweeters are sealed from the woofer, because they are not infinitely stiff and the woofer can influence the tweeter's cone movement via flexing of the chamber. Although this effect is minimal it doesn't cost much to pay attention to this detail.

Regards

Charles

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Sorry Bill, but here's another! ;)

If you have a seperate enclosure for the tweeter, with the main bass/mid chamber sealed from it, you can mount the tweeter in a compliant suspension, to isolate it from the effects of cabinet vibrations from the other drivers.

I guess I am mostly interested in any reasons not to do it.

Should I be worried about ventilation for cooling reasons?

How about if the resonance affecting the crossover? I definitely don't want to have to mess around with the crossover network. This is my first go, and the simpler the better! :rolleyes:

The chamber would be very small, but then so is the tweeter (Audax TM025F1).

I was wondering about any back wave from the tweeter going straight out the reflex port and bouncing off the back wall. Should I be concerned about this?

My initial idea is to have a surface directly opposite the tweeter back, but have a hole just above and below this to allow the cavity to vent and to prevent resonance. Would this be OK or am I trying to be too clever? ;)
I guess if I leave it open, I can always seal behind it later.

Mark.

For the interested, the bike is a 2002 Kawasaki ZX6R. Speed is good.

Cool, I'll leave it open then.
At least the damn thing will be easier to wire!

On another track, I want to have a felt surface on the front baffle, (mainly cause I think it looks cool' :cool: ) is there a recommended way of glueing thin felt to MDF.
I'll probably try experimenting with PVA, but maybe some sort of contact adhesive might work better?

Anyway, it feels really good to have made a start. Got all my main peices cut, but I need to get a new router bit before cutting my driver rebates, as I'm getting torn edges at the moment.

It's amazing how all the little bits start to add up.

Mark

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bill Fitzpatrick said:
How about starting a thread discussing the pros and cons of shock mounting tweeters?

A friend did a whole lot of research on this when developing his speakers (with ALOT of subjective measuring) and ended up mounting the tweeter pod on the midbass cabinet viaa damped spring system to isolate the pod from the mid-boxes vibrations.

dave

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I listened to the new TAD home speakers (45K USD) at the recent Stereophile show in San Francisco. These speakers have a 1" Be dome concentric in a 3" Be cone. This assembly is shockmounted on top of the woofer box. It's pretty stiff, but firm pressure from a finger pushing down on top produces observable deflection of about 1/32". Their speakers? pretty darned good on large scale music. I'm going to put feet made from a cut up mousepad under the head units of my new speaks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.