Open Baffle In A Small Room? [Advice please]

My listening room is 10 x 20'. It will be for high-end, 2-channel listening and for home theater with a 65" screen. The speakers and screen will be on the 10' wall. I am considering open baffle speakers, preferably a full-range driver or co-ax point source. Is this room too small for open baffle? Am I better off with a single, point-source driver in a small cabinet? I will be using three subs.

Last edited:
In general the size of wavelengths comparable to the room size is already very much in the bass region so in that sense there should not too many issues in the higher frequencies, however this does not account for the time delay for reflections being clearly separately perceived. 3' sounds on the lower side, is there any room treatment/sound absorption materials you (plan to) put on the wall?

One possible solution as this is a DIY setup (especially if you're using easily adjustable dsp crossovers) is to make the open baffles with the drivers and test it first before finishing it. If it doesn't sound good you can put the baffles in a box instead.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
is there any room treatment/sound absorption materials you (plan to) put on the wall?
Yes, I was planning on some side panels to absorb the wall reflections as the the speakers will be close to the side walls. I will put bass traps in the corners behind the speakers.

One possible solution as this is a DIY setup (especially if you're using easily adjustable dsp crossovers) is to make the open baffles with the drivers and test it first before finishing it. If it doesn't sound good you can put the baffles in a box instead.
Yes, that occurred to me. Good suggestion.

Yes posible solution, but i see no point as subs will be used. If you want fullrange, take a look at FA22RCZ. Good Xmax is your friend. I have good experience with these in open baffle.

• Thank You
I have a small set of open baffle speakers in a room 12x20 feet. By experimentation, I have found that they sound best about 24" from the front wall and near the floor level. It can be done. I have found that open baffles are very room dependant, so your results may vary...

• Thank You