Opamp power supply, super regulator alternatives?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
imperfectcircle said:
The price for the kit is almost to good to be true, I mean it would cost me almost $30 to get just the pcbs for the Jung super regulators!
This is not a Jung Regulator if you look very closely. If you check Q1, this transistor is driven the classical way, not in class A a la Jung and this will slow down the regulator. A TL071 is the opamp and Jung chose AD825 which is 3-4 times faster. It has also less good noise filtering but otherwise it looks OK. I have seen the pcb though. It may have error, can't say.

martin clark said:
I think you can do better on your own. Three things stand out on a cursory glance; the way that reg is laid-out, you need a raw rail at least 5-6v above the desired output (minimum 3v dropout for the LM317/337 pre-reg; opamp might swing within say 2v of its supply rail; a further 0.7v lost at pass transistor base-emitter). Also, the output from the zener reference could use some RC decoupling for lower noise (e.g. add a good-sized resistor between U3 and C7); and R4 could use a capacitor bypassing it (say 10uF)to reduce noise gain in the error amp.

Dig up Walt Jung's articles on improved regulator design and re-read - there's lots of good hints in there. As it is, implementing a basic LM317/337 well will take you much of the way for peanuts, while you decide how you really want ot 'go for it'.

You really think I could do better on my own for such little money?? The price is what really makes this kit attractive to me, being a college student im always on a tight budget:) Im still not sure which direction to go for the regulator section, I think I have more questions now then when I started!! Im thinking maybe I will just go with standard lm317/337 for now, but I will build the power supply so that its modular and I can swap in differant types of regulators in the future. So I guess I have to figure out what to do before the regulators. Is a CLC the way to go?? I have two Hammond 155B chokes I had bougth a while back for another project that never got built. They are 6mh .3ohms 2amp would these be ok to use?? I was thinking of soemthing like 4700-choke-10000uf before the regs? What do you guys think? Any better ideas??

thanks
Frank

imperfectcircle said:

Im thinking maybe I will just go with standard lm317/337 for now, but I will build the power supply so that its modular and I can swap in differant types of regulators in the future.

The first thing you can do to improve the off-the-shelf regulators is to bypass the adjust pin. This will materially improve their performance.

The Sulzer regulators use discrete components -- the schematics can be found on the web.

You should get your hands on the Jung/Didden/Gallo articles from 1995 and 2000 -- some of this stuff can be found in Jung's articles in EDN Magazine which are archived thereon. Hopefully, AX will someday put out a book "The Best of..."

peranders said:

Hardly if the budget is tight but you can use resistors like I have done. Insert a couple of ohms and you'll reduce the harmonics quite a bit.

Well I have these Hammond 6mh .7ohm 2a chokes laying around that i was thinking of using. I also have some 10000uf 63v BHC caps in my parts bin so i was thinking of sticking the choke between a pair of these capacitors. Good idea??

imperfectcircle: " ... Hey guys I was just doing a little web surfing and I found this little DIY company in Taiwan and they have this dual regulator that you can buy as a kit or just pcb for around $32 or $8USD ... http://myweb.hinet.net/home16/realaudio/download/reg.pdf ... What do you guys think of this regulator circuit?? ..."

Very straight forward ... be sure to use plastic polystytene snubbing caps at C11 and C31 ... otherwise, the use of an op-amp to control (stabilize) the output transistors in these kinds of voltage regulators is almost SOP = for US$8 bucks, though, it might be worth a look / see just to examine this outfits kit manufacturing practices .... :smash:

Re: your choise ?

Cobra2 said:

I have seen these, but I would need 2 pcbs, with shipping to the US would cost almost $40USD + parts. Thats quite a bit more then I can afford on my tight budget. Thats why I was attracted to the regulator kit I found
reg kit
its only $35 + shipping for pcb and parts for a +/- regulator. I know its probably not quite as good as the Jung tyoe regulator but my main question is, will it outperform just a LM317/337 by itself??

imperfectcircle: " ... with shipping to the US would cost almost $40USD + parts. ..."

Generally speaking, imports into the USA are quite cost effective when using the regions' postal services, shipping costs can be less than US$2 per pound from Mexico !! ... Canada is of course somewhat higher, but does not exceed ~ US$6 per pound.

Example: When in Mexico, it is easy to ship tourists' trinkets home to the states by mail. I have shipped home as much as 15 pounds of rugs, blankets, toys, etc. for as little as US$6 ... just take 'em to the local post office with the box opened, ready for postal inspection ... Mexican Mail Order Companies use their postal service regularily with a very high surity of receipt without problems. Canada, likewise ... It is only the "rapid" express services, FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. that charge the high rates.

FYI: with the exception of a very short list of items, all electronics parts and kits and even many whole goods can be shipped from Canada, Mexico, Central America and most of South America as "NAFTA Duty Free Electronic Service Parts and Acessories" when using the Canadian, Mexican, etc. etc. postal services ... even with domestic rates on the rise in the states, the US Postal Services honors other North and South American countries' postal rates without extra cost addons or extra fees. ... :eek:

peranders said:

Hardly if the budget is tight but you can use resistors like I have done. Insert a couple of ohms and you'll reduce the harmonics quite a bit.

Per, I was looking at how you implemented the regulators. Is this a version of using a tracking preregulator? I was looking at doing it as a series relationship, with the Vout of the first feeding the Vin of the second. Doesn't that method also constitute the use of a tracking pre? If both methods meet this definition, that can you explain what are the tradeoffs in doing it one way versus the other?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.