• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

OPA1656: High-Performance CMOS Audio Op Amp

The OPS627 has very low trimmed offset (not needed for audio).

Here the tax... Laser-trimmed $$$$$$

The cost per hour for laser trimming is very high, laser step align trim, step align and trim, ect....

I did a laser trimmed part in 1992 and it took 6 hours to trim a 4 inch wafer of quad op amps at $200/hour ATE cost. We changed it to poly fuse trimmed which drastically reduced the cost.

"The OPA6x7 is fabricated on a high-speed, dielectrically-isolated complementary NPN/PNP process. It operates
over a wide range of power supply voltage of ±4.5 V to ±18 V. Laser-trimmed Difet input circuitry provides high
accuracy and low-noise performance comparable with the best bipolar-input operational amplifiers."

The wafers for a DI process are also expensive.
Hi, do you think the Opa627s provided by Audiophonics are fake considering the very low price compared to other sellers?
Thank you
BURR BROWN OPA627 Dual OPA with Support (Unit) - Audiophonics

Hi, do you think the Opa627s provided by Audiophonics are fake considering the very low price compared to other sellers?
Thank you
I don´t mind Audiophonics re-distributing. Bought from them myself.
But a single OPA627 from a reliable source costs 24€. If you buy 1500pcs. they are still >15€.
So of course a double-unit like above must be fake; can´t think of another explanation.

Here's a seller with various vintages and provenances of refurbished OPA627s. They verify they're real by measuring the resistance at the offset null pins. Price of a single IC is around $1.

???OPA627AU ??????? ????????-???

They appear to be old product recycled & desoldered from old boards. One part seems to be from 39th week of 1996. Some appear to be packaged in Malaysia and some in Taiwan. They appear to be BB product from before TI acquired BurrBrown.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 528
Joined 2011
Paid Member
The obvious reason why someone would buy OPA627 is: because they tried it in their equipment and perceived that the sound was best, in their opinion, compared to all other opamps they tried.

It's a relatively harmless pursuit and the price is similar to the price of a vacuum tube -- which audiophiles happily pay, and then furiously swap among different tube variations with great enthusiasm. Russian tubes, Chinese tubes, Telefunken tubes, RCA tubes: try em all!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Maybe irrational comparing the “jobs” they do. But I think buying different opamps to try in a circuit is similar to buying different tubes to try in a circuit.
I think the “swapping” aspect was the comparison, not the actual device.

Btw, I agree with you, I prefer the OPA1656 over the OPA627 in one of my DAC’s.
Especially when price is considered.