Onsemi Samples

Hi,
I ordered 10 different samples in quantities of 5 and they came in 10 separate boxes.
The return for ONsemi is so low I am too embarassed to order more.
Does anyone know if ONsemi has a system to charge a fair price to us DIYers?

Then we could all go there with a clear conscience

AndrewT said:
Hi,
I ordered 10 different samples in quantities of 5 and they came in 10 separate boxes.
The return for ONsemi is so low I am too embarassed to order more.
Does anyone know if ONsemi has a system to charge a fair price to us DIYers?

Then we could all go there with a clear conscience

Yes, I was amazed to see my order filled and shipped in quite the timely matter as well. Even though these chips I ordered will find themselves in my diy project I couldn’t help to think how long could this go on? ONsemi obviously is a large Corp. that offers samples to anyone that could use and evaluate with the belief that their product and ‘perception’ will benefit. I believe the ‘diy-ers’ do fall in this category of samples, I mean how many of us are instructors and engineers and the projects that are built will be explained or shared via the web, classroom, BOM etc. The problem is when you start seeing chips on EBay or someone taking advantage of a good thing for their own gain. In my opinion, ONsemi is probably to big of a corporation to tailor its sample policy, after all what prevents the person who is taking advantage of a good thing to say he is what they are looking for.

I was thinking maybe a small percentage of the samples retail value could go to diyaudio as a donation but I’m not sure that the Mods want to be connected in this way.

Stan

are you sure it doesnt depend on your email address?
National for example will charge people from hotmail, yahoo and major ISP shipping, but if you have an email from a small organisation, then it is free.

it was funny the first time i ordered some samples with my sympatico address, a page came up that said "are you sure you do not have an email adress that is not major ISP blah blah, or you will have to pay shipping" or some such thing.
So i changed it to my work one and it was good :)

maybe onsemi has the same policy but doesnt tell you.

neutron7 said:
are you sure it doesnt depend on your email address?
National for example will charge people from hotmail, yahoo and major ISP shipping, but if you have an email from a small organisation, then it is free.

When did you order?

I've tried free ones, my ISP, my school, etc. and none work. This has just recently happened (couple months ago).

I thought national had more or less closed for samples?

on what basis did you request samples?
I tried to get some lm3886's for my school project, but to no avail, they didn't give any.

TI on the other hand..
I get sick seeing people who order tons of stuff they dont even know what is, as long as it's expensive, and ebay them.

oh well..
there will always be those who abuse things at the expence of others.
(there will not be any more opa541 or opa627 samples from national any more.)

I used my e-mail from work..a 60,000 employee company, and was still charged shipping. I even spec'd a job name that was viable. Come to think of it, the $11.00 US is probably enough to cover almost anything one orders in the program..at ON's cost of manufacture and shipping at thier volume (abuse not withstanding). I think they are covering all or most of the cost with bloated shipping. How much does it cost for ON to make a transistor? Any idea?

I ordered samples once and was happy with the product and service. Next time I will buy. I encourage all to not abuse that samples program for everyone's sake! :whazzat:

bigmike216 said:
What did they charge you?

hi bigmike216, I am in B.C. as well .
I want to order some samples from ONsemi as well, but I had really bad experience with carrier UPS etc, they charge so much whatsoever fee!
did you pay the custom / handling fee once it delivered to your door?
(except those $14.99 shipping charge)
I know TI would pay everything for sample: custom fee, tax, shipping...everything.

i ordered samples from ONSEMI and only 2 of the 10 products came !
they sent me an e-mail that says

>
> This is a status notification email - no action is required by you.
>
> The following changes in status were detected in web site order number
> 9795201:
>
> ORDER TYPE PART NUMBER QTY STATUS
> ---------- ---------------- ----- --------
> SAMPLE MUR1620CT 25 SHIPPED
> SAMPLE MJL4302A 25 SHIPPED

are they going to send me the rest :rolleyes:

B.I.G said:
i ordered samples from ONSEMI and only 2 of the 10 products came !
they sent me an e-mail that says

>
> This is a status notification email - no action is required by you.
>
> The following changes in status were detected in web site order number
> 9795201:
>
> ORDER TYPE PART NUMBER QTY STATUS
> ---------- ---------------- ----- --------
> SAMPLE MUR1620CT 25 SHIPPED
> SAMPLE MJL4302A 25 SHIPPED

are they going to send me the rest :rolleyes:

These chips are shipped from different warehouses, usually from different countries. So, the answer is "yes". You should get shipping confirmation for the rest of your order.