onkyo A-8200 popping fuses..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
here's a pic of the transformer and wiring..

DSCN3755.jpg

LOL! The blue and brown wires look like they are coming out of the power cord. If you open those connections and still blow fuses you definitely want to to hold on to this receiver. Just remove the power transformer and try plugging the rest of your audio system into the free energy device, whereever it is in there.

Sounds like you have a shorted turn in a winding..

indeed the blue/brown is the 240v feed from the socket on the wall!

i can take out that little board if it helps and get a picture of the other side..

if it was the transformer would i be able to find one of these easy enough for this amp? and if one of the windings was shorted could it be easily repaired?

thanks Mark.

That does look like the power cord. My mistake what you are trying to do is isolate the trans totally. From the look at the picture it seems nothing else is hooked to that board. In the schematic it shows a connection to the main board but the schematic is for 120 volts and could be different. It does sound as if you have a shorted primary winding.

The DC resistance can be low on the primary windings this can be deceptive because the inductance of the primary is what is important. This is what determines the amount of current that will flow. If there is no other paths that current can flow off of the small board in the picture than most likely the trans is shorted.

looks like the transformer is shorted, i removed it and the fuse no longer blows...

...so looks like the amp is heading for the scrapheap, it's useless without it and i don't stand a chance of getting a new one and if i did it would be more than the amp is worth!

If nothing else is connected to that board and it still blows the fuse your testing is complete. If you measure the resistance of the primary it should be low be however we don't know what it should be and the inductive nature of the trans is what really limits the current flow. I would see if you could locate a new trans.

the board's sole job is to supply 240v to the transformer, there's a switch in there and a small fuse that's it..

next question is what voltage does the transformer produce for the amp? i need 240v in and whatever out, i'm guessing i can't just use any old transformer, that would be very naive of me to think that!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.